Hi guys, so I really need your professional opinion or experience. I removed my wisdom tooth about two weeks ago, I think. It was OK for the first couple of days, I was following the instructions of my dentist about every single thing, but later, I have noticed that I have this numbness in a lower left side where my wisdom tooth was removed. So, I started to be very concerned and I don't know if this something normal, will it go away, etc. So, do you have any experience with it, to tell me what to do?  Please, let me know.

Thanks! 

Good day Guest,

You are dealing with possible nerve trauma, it is so-called a dental paresthesia. For sure, it is one of the most possible postoperative complication of wisdom tooth removal, or in some cases receiving a dental injection. It is an altered feeling or sensation to an area. It can happen, but that doesn't mean that you should sit and wait for this to pass. I know that sometimes people are stuck with this feeling and they actually don't feel any type of numbness. But that is all normal. So, don't panic. You will be OK but consulting your doctor is something that you need to do.  

Visiting your dentist whenever you have some issues like this one is a good idea. If you do feel this numbness for that long time, that generally means that there is something wrong because as you already know, there are so many possible complications after the procedure and also, you can expect to have some Infection after wisdom tooth removal, which is generally very common as well. If your dentist refuses to take a closer look at the wound than you should seek for another one and let him tells you what he thinks. Seeking another opinion is always a good idea. 

Celebrity

Good day, I am sorry to hear this. 

I remember that day when I get teeth pulled it usually takes about 3-6 hours for this numbness to goes away, but I also have heard that it affects everyone differently. So, if you are having this numbness for two weeks now, maybe it is a normal procedure in your way, but if it takes longer than this, you should not wait. If it's still there, after more than two weeks, when you get up tomorrow then I would go see a doctor as it's probably nerve damage, which also can happen, and you need to figure this out. 

good day. I was dealing with this as well, and I can say that I was really scared. for the reason. it is OK to fee numbness after a couple of hours, even for a day, but anything that is longer than one week it should be an alarm. so, of course, I went to consult my dentist and guess what - I was dealing with a condition called a oral paraesthesia. in case if you don't know what this is, this is an oral sensation that occurs after dental surgery. it occurs due to nerve damage, that was inflected during the surgery. that was my biggest fear since I was reading about it and I knew that this can happen because of the nerve damage. so, you should inspect this. I really hope that it is because of something else, but I have to say that I am skeptical.

Numbness is not OK for that long. Facial numbness is something that can happen after the surgery, and in that case, it is totally normal but in any other case it should be inspected. I got this condition called a Paresthesia and this definitely can happen when the nerve is plucked, vibrated or at some other way affected in the surgery. I got only a mild version, thank God and everything was OK after my doctor check it. I was told that the intensity and healing process will vary based on the initial injury, but also the age and overall health are very important. Meaning - when you are younger, you will be healed quicker!

Well, I am almost 100 percent sure that you have an paresthesia and I think that you know that this is an altered feeling or sensation to an area.  It is total numbness, it is when you have no feeling on your face, etc.  The mandibular nerve probable got irritated or even the inflamed or bruised during the procedure. The risks are very rare, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. I had it and it was good because I went to consult my dentist immediately, but he told me that some people just believe that this is a side -effect after the anesthesia. 

Celebrity

No, no. There is no chance that this is because of the anesthesia since the anesthesia numbness is different and it is over after a couple of hours. There is no chance that this numbness is because of this, no way. Anesthesia can't be that strong. This numbness following the extraction of a lower wisdom tooth is a well-known risk of that type of surgery and it can happen to anyone. That means that it is very often can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to return to normal, but don't consider it as something that will go away just like this, you don't know what type of damage is.