I'm 14 and starting high school next week where we have to shower after gym class.  My problem is that I have very little body fat (lots of muscle tone) and since I don't have much body fat, I really don't have a slit or outer lips.  My inner lips are visible all the time.  Does anyone else look like me or have you seen any other girls that look like me?

When I was younger and changing for swimming I knew I looked different, but it didn't really bother me because my inner lips were really small back then and weren't really visible.  But now they are much bigger and are visible all the time.  I'm nervous about what other girls will think or when they see me.

Health Guru
Hi Cindy, I understand your concerns about being seen naked by other girls in the showers but just think that this is going to be a new experience for all of you and nearly every teen girl has hang ups about there bodies, as for your labia minora being longer there is nothing wrong with it at all as ever vagina is different in some way or another and it can be perfectly natural to have a longer labia minora like yours. If you would like to ask anything else feel free, if you would rather talk in private then just sign up and make an account leave me a message and I'll send you a private message :-)

just do it dont be nervous itll make u a woman

It's not that my labia minora are long. But they have grown enough to be visible because I don't have a slit or outer lips like other girls. Its just flat down there with my labia minora at the bottom.

Health Guru
Not really sure I understand what you mean by flat, but as I said no vagina labia or mons pubis are exactly the same. :-)

I mean I have NO slit or outer lips. I know its different but its been like that for as long as I can remember because I have very little body fat. Thank you for your responses btw. Cindi

Health Guru
Don't worry about it Cindy I'm sure everything will be fine :-) if you have any other questions don't be scared to ask.

Don't worry Cindi. No one is going to be looking at your vagina. I was nervous when I started junior high and had to shower with the other girls in my gym class. But after a few days it was not at all uncomfortable. Girls just shower and share shampoo and carry on conversations the same as we would fully dressed. My daughter started middle school last year, and she was nervous about having to shower with other girls, so I took her to the YWCA which has open showers, and we showered in the buff after swimming so that she would be adjusted to showering in a locker room. It worked like a charm. She said that she was way more comfortable showering in gym class that first day than she thought that she would, and that it helped to adjust to it at the YWCA. You might want to try something like that too? No matter how nervous you may be about it now, I promise you you won't give it a second thought after a few days. You'll have fun in gym class.

Thank you for your reply. It's been OK so far. I'm sure other girls have noticed but no one has said anything or stared. I've even had some compliments on my buff athletic body. :)

I am surprised by how many girls are shaved (its hard not to notice that). I knew some did (including me) but in our class it seems to be very common.

Health Guru
Good to know everything is going ok for you and that it isn't as bad as you expected, just remember everybody is made different for a simple reason, so your an individual :-) As for most the girls being shaved your find its quite common and you may even notice after a while the ones that don't shave start to. Hope everything continues to go ok for you and if you ever have anything you want to know or a problem you want help with feel free to ask :-)