In an effort to rehabiliate and get back on the fitness wagon I have been riding quite a bit, mostly on stationary bikes either at hotels or at the gym. Today I went to my very first spinning class and I have to say I am hooked!!!! I busted my a$$ for the first time in a long time, even got pretty close to max heart rate on a hill work. I feel great! What a way to cross train. :wavey:

I love spinning. My BIL teaches and has been trying to get me to try a class as cross-training.

Never did it but have seen it done before. I'd love to try it.

ive been riding the stationary at the gym as well. i like it better than running. i just feel like i get a better workout and i really enjoy watching tv while im riding.

And, no one gets dropped. :)

I've found that cycling helps my running, while running does nothing for my cycling. Anyone else have this experience?

I think it helps keep my cadence up in running.

i tried a spin class a few weeks ago. i hated it!

yeah, I agree!
CF, you're crazy! I love spinning.

It's a tough theory to test. Most runners keep their 'normal' mileage and then add cycling. That makes it almost a slam dunk that additional cardio training is going to supplement the running because it's an increased workload overall. Personally, I add indoor rowing to my running routine and find that's a great supplement and does wonders to strengthening my quads and shin (believe it or not) plus it keeps my upper body from turning to mush.
So really, to answer your question, the opposite would need to happen and someone would need to cycle exclusively, get a 'normal' riding routine going and then add running to the mix. Just my hunch, but I think that cyclist would indeed find that the addition of running to a cycling routine would help the cycling overall.
Like I said, it'd be tough to test because few, if any, of us are willing to give up the running completely and then only trickle it back into the mix.

I love spinning!

I was doing it last winter when I belonged to a gym...

And, no one gets dropped. :)
Spinning classes are so great because you can make it a workout for YOU. If it's an easy day for you, you can take it easier. You can ramp it up if it needs to be a tough workout, too. Plus, no one can really tell how hard you are making it, other than how red your face is. So there is no feeling like the fat girl at the back of the pack... not that I know what that feels like! :umno:

What didn't you like about it?
Does anyone know how spin class compares to doing Spinervals on your bike trainer?

Same here!
i'm not sure why that is?! I can bike forever!