My 12 yo daughter is a very healthy and athletic girl.  She plays a lot of sports, has a lot of muscle tone for a girl and very little body fat.  I think it's because she has very little body fat that she doesn't really have a slit or outer lips.  Her inner labia are completely visible.  When she started changing for swimming a few years ago, she noticed that other girls have a slit and she didn't.  She asked me about it and I told her that everyone is different.  Recently she told me that she noticed some girls kind of staring at her down there.  She also noticed that her inner labia have grown some as she starts puberty.  She told me that she feels a little awkward in that she looks different than other girls and her inner labia are visible and other girls are not.  I've tried to tell her that it's nothing to worry about but I know girls can be very self-conscious at that age.  Next year she will be in middle school and will have to shower after gym class.  I know some girls can be a little mean to other girls and I know she's worried about it.

Are there other girls out there that look like my daughter?  Any suggestions on how I can make her feel at ease with her body?

My one inner lip has like a tab on it that sticks out like a tongue from the outer while the rest of it and the other are small and not very pronounced flowing into thicker outer. I worried about the tab and hated it for a long time before I realized this: Every body is unique and every body is beautiful in its uniqueness.

I'm 18 and I've always looked the way you describe your daughter. It was a little awkward in changing rooms and I remember trying to hide in the corner when I had to shower after gym class. Looking back I really worried about it more than I needed to. You're correct in telling her that everyone is different and she shouldn't let it bother her.