Hi, I am a 16 year old male and i've been having a huge problem for a little over a year now.

It started last june. I live in a non-cramped house with no air conditioning, one cat and one dog. I live with both of my parents in a rural setting in pennsylvania. It gets pretty hot in our house during the summer. It isn't overwhelming but it can be uncomfortable at times. One day when i got out of the shower and i had dried off, i was extremely itchy all over. I don't remember specific details but i toughed it out like that for around a year. Everytime i took a shower i itched badly when i got out, mostly on my legs. The itch wasn't nearly as bad through the fall winter and spring. Now it is summer again and i am getting it worse again. But now I'm noticing that i get itchy even when I'm not in the shower. Sometimes when i run or workout outiside in the heat i get itchy. I never ever have a rash or hives. The only redness on my skin is from my scratching. Recently i went on two trips/vacations. One trip was to atlanta, georgia. The other was to trout run in Lycoming County, PA( the mountains). While in atlanta i did not have any itching after showering, though i showered early in the morning whish also seems to be less irritating to my skin. I had no problems in the mountains either. I didn't shower immediately after i awoke in the mountains like i did in atlanta. I did all the work i had to do first, got sweaty, then showered. And i was fine. I told my mom all of this, and she thinks a i may have a diet problem. When i came home from the mountains i drank a lot of dr. pepper. Which i hadnt drank much of in the mountains or in atlanta. But i always drink dr. pepper when im home. I researched online and discovered that our wel water that we have at home may be leaving s**m on my skin after i dry off and it causes me to itch, but i remember times during the spring winter and fall that i had barely any itch at all after i showered.

I am a very oily person, during the warm summer days, when i wake up in the morning i have a lot of grease all over my body. I normally dont shower as soon as i wake up in the summer, i go do some things first then shower around noon. Sometimes i only drink a cup of soda, i have done nothing else that could possibly irritate my skin, yet i get the itchies really bad. I never get them after i have showered except for immediately after. Only when my skin is oily and i am dirty. I also wonder if my bed sheets may be causing the problem, or if i put a window air conditioner in my room is it would help my skin while i sleep and then i wouldnt get the itchy feeling

I realy dont know what is going on, i gave as much info as possible. If you have a similar problem or you think you can help, please let me know, my life would be much easier. :-P

Hi: The first thing that came to my mind is an alergic reaction to a scent! Such as a soap, body wash, detergent, fabric softner, etc. Usually water from a well has a LOT of iron in it, but that wouldn't explain why just your legs get this itch and why right after a shower and more in the summer! Your legs are more protected then your arms, so I was also thinking of that you might be taking showers too hot and for too long! Since you don't actually have a rash! I was also thinking that it is something you are injesting - perhaps the pop! %-)

The 1st thing I would try is cool down your showers, and lessen the time in there. Use unscented everything - soap, laundry detergent, deoderant, and see if that helps. I just thought about your towels too!!!! I have my towels over a towel bar, with a scented sachet on top of them, does your mom do the same? Also when you dry off, are the towels every damp - from someone else using them? I was thinking about mold too! Which will start right away! Just tgought about another - Bed Bugs!!!!!!! They happen more in the summer! so change your sheets, vacuum the bed, don't use anything scented OK? and if after a week it doesn't go away then go to your doctor! good luck and health!

hey there,

i'm 33 and have had the same problems since i was about your age too.. severe itching after showers and after sweating.. to my mind its any contact with water.

i have tried showering with very hot water / warm water / cool water / cold water/ ph neutral soap / no soap / creams after showers / creams before shower, and this happens no matter where i am (ie. its not due to bed bugs, reactions to bed sheets etc , i have tryed everything i can think of, but to no avail... any doctors i have seen have given me the.. you have sensitive skin.. not much we can do about it..

this drives me mad after showers and in the morning if i have had a 'hot' night in bed. the itching lasts a good 10-15 mins and longer..

if anyone can help ..

Hi, I am 16 aswell and I was having a the same sort of problems that you all are having. I was getting extremely itchy when my body temperature raised too fast. For example when I sweat or workout or even heat. I was fed up so I did some research on the Internet and found a disorder called cholinergic urticaria. In a nut shell CU is an allergic reaction to heat. I found some webpages on cures and found that anti-histamines are some of many treatments. Anti-histamines help cut down the severity of the reaction. So fR I have been using some for a few months now and find they work decently enough to buy them. If you have any questions post a reply and I should get back to you.

Take ITCHGUARD or any mixture of clotrimazol, menthol and boric acid.

It sounds like the same problem I have. It's called Cholinergic Urticaria. Or "heat hives". Some times the hives show, others they do not. But like you, I've found that taking a shower in the morning or earlier in the day than before bed helps.

I found it. Aquagenic pruritus. This is exactly what it is for me. Im not going crazy. Phew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquagenic_pruritus

ohh my gosh, thank you guys so much...this thread helped me figure this out. Cholinergic Urticaria it is. I've had this since i was 15 or so and have never figured it out and all the doctors also tell me that my skin is sensitive. I wish doctors would just say they didn't know instead of making things up!

I GOT THE SOLUTION/CURE FOR THIS...I WAS SUFFERING FROM THIS 2.ITS THE WORST THING EVER,I FELT LIKE MY LIFE WAS OVER..N I WANT 2 HELP CUZ I KNOW HOW IT FEELS.THE CURE IS SIMPLE JOIN A LOCAL GYM LIKE BALLYS N GO IN THE STEEM ROOM,IT OPENS UP YOUR PORES.N WAT U HAVE ARE CLOGGED PORES SO WHEN U TRY TO SWEAT IT ITCHES CUZ IT CANT COME OUT..AFTER LIKE THE 3RD TIME GOIN IT GOES AWAY :) HOPE I HELPED..

Its your body releasing heat- you must change your diet.. The prognosis is similar to having a yeast infection but unfortunatley this infection is all over and called candida. read up on it but in the interim- you must change your diet or it could lead to severe welts, hives and rashes on your body.

Avoid yeasts, sugar and spices for a month and Ill bet you your symptoms will clear up 100%! Keep me posted! 

The water or sweat just removes the top layer of your skin, which allows the water in your skin to evaporate, this will make your skin dry and tight, then itchy. So what you need to do is to repair the top layer of your skin by applying a layer of lotion to seal the water into your skin. For the best solution to this problem, please check my profile.

Good luck!

Healthy skin can be pictured as a multi-layer cake covered by a single sheet of clear plastic food wrap to keep it fresh. The plastic food wrap prevents the
frosting and underlying layers of the cake from drying out by preventing loss of the water from the cake into the air. It is the moisture in the cake that gives it its
freshness. The outermost layer of the skin, which acts like the plastic food wrap and is about the same thickness, is called the stratum corneum. This is the layer
that peels off after a sunburn. The stratum corneum consists of dead skin cells embedded in a mixture of the natural oils made by the oil glands and the sweats
made by the sweat glands. The mixture of the natural skin oils and sweats keeps the water inside our body from escaping into the air and also keep irritating
substances and germs from entering the body. Both the skin oils and the dead skin cells hold a certain amount of water in the stratum corneum and it is this
stratum corneum water that helps keep the skin soft, pliable and smooth.

Itchy skin is mostly caused by dry skin, if you want to stop itching, you will have to keep your skin well hydrated and moist. It is natural to think that applying
water alone to dry skin would help control the problem. However, water alone can actually worsen the problem of dry skin by removing the normal, protective
skin oils.

could be low sodium , try 1 quarter teaspoon of salt in a couple swallows of water. look at WATERCURE.COM

I am 67 and have tried for years to find the answer. It is not shampoo or soap.....I am almost sure it is the additive in ALL water supplies to purify the water....bleach type of additive. .

No one mentions if the sufferers are fair skinned. I was blond and very fair skinned and have had this trouble for many years. It took a lot research until I discovered it is the water. In any state and in Europe too, I have the same problem...any place where the water is brought to us by cities and counties that give us clean water supplies. I do not know what to do about it. I would like to try well water to see if it helps.

Hello , am 24 and i have the very same problem , extreme itching after shower and sweating , a doctor told me that i should not change my body temperature fast , so when i take a shower i dress up inside the small shower chamber and wait standing there for about 10 min , its like 90% problem solved , but still sometimes feel itchy in summer and in heat and so on .hope this could help.
thanks all.