Hi everyone. I'm very confused and upset right now. My dates say I am 8 wks today but my scans this morning say I am only 6. The nurse said because this is in conjunction with light bleeding and no visible heartbeat, I am having a miscarriage. They want me to go back next Tuesday for another scan to confirm. The trainee midwife who did my scans was lovely but couldn't find my right ovary either - which is definitely there! They didn't do any blood tests, I don't know if my cervix is open or closed and I wasn't allowed to see the monitor during the scans. My partner and I have been trying for a baby for 2 years, to think we may lose this one is devastating. I had a hard 5 days waiting for this scan, I don't know how I'll cope waiting again but longer. Basically, am I mad to hope there might be a heartbeat next week? 6 weeks is early, if I am indeed 6 and not 8 - I could have ovulated late maybe. I'm terrified and confused and living in limbo waiting til next week. Does anyone have any advice or similar stories with positive outcome?

Hi Jess,

I am sorry but I don't share a similar experience such as this one but I did suffer a miscarriage my very first pregnancy.

My scans were always off in my pregnancy as well and my OB doctor went by LMP.

My first pregnancy ended at 10 weeks and was not viable since probably around 6 weeks or so, I was told that there was nothing formed and no heartbeat.  Nothing I could do I was cramping and bleeding in the hospital.  They did a DnC.

I proceeded to go on with my life and yes, it was hard but life goes on right?  3 months later I was pregnant with my daughter now.  During my research all the time prior to my second pregnancy I found that it is quite common to experience a miscarriage with your first pregnancy as it is your body going what the heck?!  It realizes after the pregnancy, oh that's what it was... and goes on to have a healthy pregnancy.  It is said that it is your body getting ready to carry a child.

You may have bad news next week.  It will be difficult but go on to try again, your body will be ready after a couple of normal periods. 

I'm sorry I don't share better news but my policy is it's better to be honest.

Hope this helps some and good luck.

Thanks for replying :)
I had a miscarriage in 2000 at 10 weeks, that was my first pregnancy. I went on to have 2 beautiful children thankfully.
I am now with a new partner of 3 years. Unfortunately, we would not be able to try again as he is due to start medication which will cause horrendous birth defects.
Thanks for taking the time to reply though, it's appreciated and if I get bad news next week I am ready, I just hope there's some chance!

Me too for your sake and your babies. All the good luck and well wishing sent your way. Fingers and toes crossed for you and the little one!