I and my wife had a car crash last month. Since then she is in hospital and expecting surgery. Doctor suggested that she needs decompressive craniectomy in occipital parts of brain. He also told me that she has large traumatic brain swelling. Therefore I am interested in prognosis offer occipital decompression.

Hi, I read your story and understand your concern. You didn't tell, but I suppose that final decision about the surgery is by you. I have been in same situation last year. Difference is that I had to decide for my daughter, and I am a single parent. I did, in that time some research, and here what I have found: 19% of patients died, 9% survived but remained like vegetables, 11% survived with neurological damages (persistent), 58% attained social rehabilitations. If this helps, I wish you and your daughter everything to be good. By the way I decided for surgery.