Recently I have started having odd heartbeats. It just comes and goes throughout the day. It will be a normal beat, and then all of a sudden it beats quickly. It feels like my heart is going to beat through my chest and into my neck. It only lasts for a few seconds, but it very odd. It is happening more often each day and I don’t know if it has anything to do with it, but, I am slightly overweight and smoker.

I started having palpitations about a year ago, but initially, what it felt like was an odd heartbeat that tapered off over three-four beats. Soon, I started recognizing an odd sensation on the beat before the large beats. I did some research and in layman's terms, the reason for this was that the heart messed up by doing a "lub" and a "dub" at the same time once, and then it reset and continued beating regularly. The pounding sensation was caused by the heart filling with blood while it was resetting, and then the next beat was pushing out so much blood that it felt like a big "boom". For me, these were diagnosed as benign and were brought on by a combination of over-exertion, not enough sleep and too much caffeine. However, you should definitely get them looked at.