Hello, I am an 18 year old male and I have been experiancing abnormal heart behavior. Recently I had an episode while I was sitting where my heart paused a longer time than normal, then started pounding hard. I have no prior history of heart problems. Ever since then for the past two weeks my heart has been behaving abnormally. Something as simple as jogging for a few moments or walking up a set of stairs causes my heartbeat to race very quickly. It makes my breathing become sort and quick. After a about 30 second of rest, my heartbeat becomes normal. However, i feel tightness in my chest. I have not been very active the past two weeks because I am afraid my heart will start racing again.

1) Should I become active again?
1b) Has my decreased activity made my heart weaker?
2) What is a rational explanation?

I am going thru the same thing

I have been going through the same thing for a few days now. My heart pounds so hard that I can hear it in my ears. I have also been, just tonight experiencing a sharp quick pain close to the center of my chest and a burning sensation on the right side of my chest... it's weird.

i get exactly the same..
wenever i do any sort of excersize i can barely breathe i get worn out so easily..i went to the hospitall few months ago because i was gettin terrible pains all across my chest sort of like a stich but really sharp pains and i was diagnosed with a heart mermor..i have heart problems in the family..and i have to go to hospital and have a heart scan and an ecg so they can look further into it and find out exactly what is rong..i advise you to see a doctor as they are proffessional and will know what to do hope this helps :-)

see your doctor as soon as posible

Mine turned out to be general anxiety.

I know that your heart can be very scary when it isn't working the way it seems it should! I know that there's some abnormal but actually expected issues you can expect with your heart. Sometimes your heart actually does skip beats--it beats hundreds of times per day, so it does miss once in awhile. A lot of people don't notice it. I know it's been awhile since you've posted this, but did you figure out what it was? I hope you saw your doctor regardless just to be sure.

For those who are following the original post...

I have a thyroidectomy last year. One of the symptoms of my hyperthyroid condition was heart palpatations and what seemed to be an irregular heart beat. I saw a cardiologist so that I could get the ok for the surgery. The cardiologist concluded that I was fine. He said that many people have unexplained, irregular heartbeats at times. My point is that it doesn't necessarily have to be anything serious. However, heart concerns are not to be played with. I got this info from my cardiologist, who did extensive testing. There are many issues that could be causing your problem, from small to life-threatening. You should not continue with any type of exercise until you get solid answers, please. Get to a specialist right away to rule out a serious problem and to put your name at ease....Let us know...It seems like there are several of our community members at have the same problem....Good Luck!

i just now had a sudden strike of pain in what felt like my heart, it made me almost want to fall over. over the course of the past 2 years my heart races and pounds at rates that make me feel like my heart is going to explode and it happens from doing simple things, standing up, walking, a sudden jump. ive been told by my mom that its nothing for the past 2 years. i have no money and im already in debt, so hospitalization is not one of my options at this point. after the pain goes away i often wonder, am i dead? then i tell my self how much of a jackass i sound.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use
thank you.