Hello! I am 25 years old girl and for the last couple of days there’s been a swollen gland on my neck, behind my ear. This gland hurts just a little bit and is not so hard. The reason I am worried is that it is just a single swollen gland, not glands. Is there a difference? Could just one swollen gland indicate something else, different from more swollen glands? Thank you for your time!

Hi there! There is no difference if there is just one or a couple of swollen glands. Lymph nodes play an important part in the body's defense against infection. So, the swelling occurs even if the infection is trivial or not apparent. Swelling of lymph nodes may result from localized or systemic infection, abscess formation, or malignancy. But, the most common cause of lymph node enlargement is infection. If the swelling persists, you should visit a doctor.