Hello! My mother is a 55 years old woman and was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She is about to have a full hysterectomy performed and I am hoping for the best. What I wanted to know is if ovarian cancer ran in the families, and what the symptoms were! Thank you so much for your time!!!

There are very few symptoms of ovarian cancer, and that is one of the reasons ovarian cancer is so hard to detect in the early stages. Usually ovarian cancer causes pain in the abdomen, fatique, unexplained weight loss or gain, abnormal or postmenopausal bleeding and urinary problems but these symptoms can relate to many diseases. Symptoms typically occur in advanced stages when tumor growth creates pressure on the bladder and rectum, and fluid begins to form. Every woman should have regular rectal and vaginal pelvic examinations. If an irregularity of the ovary is found, there are transvaginal sonography and/or tumor markers to be done. There are several genes, which are known to carry increased risks of various cancers, which can run in families. These are BRCA1 and BRCA2 . They are known to cause an increased risk of both breast and ovarian cancer.
Statistics show that if you have one close relative ( your mother in this case ) who has had ovarian cancer, your risk goes up about 4-fold.

I have had pain in my left ovary and lower back for a year. I have had an ultresound but this was normal. I had leep surgery could this be anything to do with the pain, or are these symptoms of ovarian cancer.