Hello. I'm 22 year old female and I would really like to find out more about one interesting health subject!
Just recently I have watched some TV show and it was about all kinds of cancers. One cancer, I thing- ovarian cancer, is even called “silent killer”! You don’t have to trust me but I could sleep at all the next night. First, I didn’t believe that there are so many different types of cancers and second- I'm really afraid I could develop this terrible and most common ovarian cancer.
What should I know about it and is there anything I could do to prevent it from happening?

Hello. I know how these things could frighten a person but the only thing you could do is to stop thinking about it because- there is no purpose.
I will tell you some facts about this ovarian cancer. Yes- it is truth- it is called the "silent" killer because in most cases there are no symptoms until the disease has progressed. There is only one thing about all this- ovarian cancer most frequently appears in women who are older than 60! Like in all other cancers- early detection is crucial.
Most common symptoms are unusual feeling of fullness or discomfort in the pelvic region, indigestion, gas, pain during sexual intercourse, abnormal vaginal bleeding and swelling and pain of the abdomen.

I am not here to step on toes but to inform. I was so unaware of this disease also, until at age 23 i was diagnosed with it. Jan. 07 they said I had it, March 07 I had the surgery to remove my right ovary that it had affected(oophorectomy) along with my appendix(appendectomy) my ommentum(fatty lining of the belly) and a piece of my left ovary. It began with severe pain in my lower abdomen in Nov. 04 that thay said was just a cyst(fluidy sack that goes a way typically). Never left I kept going to the ER in pain for 2 years had a child(child #2 in 05) Pain stayed had it looked at Nov. 06 normal cyst, then out of nowhere Jan 07 mass was shown in the cyst, March 07 diagnosis was confirmed. Silent is excatly right. I'm young not the average 60 or older patient. Ladies get full physicals on a regular basis and dont mistake evrything as stomach pain. I stayed on top of the doctors and my pain and I got an early jump on somethiong that could have taken my life @ 23 yrs. old. I was fortunate and am fortunate to not need chemotherapy and I pray that the cancer doesn't come back and that I wont need chemo. Stay alert!!!!!!!!!!

The best advice I can give to any woman is to know your body, pay attention to any changes. Abdominal pain in the ovary section, pressure in the pelvic area, bloating especially after you eat and alot of gas. Do not ignore these symptons. Talk to your doctor and he/she doesn't listen go to a second dr. Statistics may say over 60 for ovarian cancer but that isn't always the case.
I am 66 and after experiencing all the above symptons, I went to a dr., she said it was scar tissue because I had previous surgeries. She gave me a pelvic but not a rectal. She basically blew me off. The symptons persisted so I went to a second dr. He sent me for a CT scan and found that I had a large tumor (the size of a watermelon) and I also had my ovaries removed. All looked good until a pathologist found a trace of the cancer attached in an isolated area outside the functioning ovary. Thank heavens he was thorough! I had 6 chemo treatments and a I celebrate my one year anniversary Sept. 4th with no trace of the cancer returning. I go for blood tests and a pelvic and rectal check up every two months. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!