I was given oxytetracycline by my doctor but recntly found out I'm 5 weeks pregnant. Because ive been taking these tablets have I caused any harm to my baby? I've spoken to alot of people (doctors and pharmasists) and there all saying completly differnt things from the baby is fine to I've caused severe problems and should consider a termination... PLEASE HELP

Oxytetracycline is a type of antibiotic. This medicine should not be used during pregnancy because it may be harmful to the developing baby. So it may be harmful, but it doesn't mean it has already harmed your baby's development. You should stop taking Oxytetracycline , don't take a risk. Seek medical advice from your doctor.

Hi there,
This is a tetracycline antibiotic if I am not mistaking here and it is used to treat the infection caused by bacteria. How much have you taken of the Oxytetracycline? The fact is that this medication is indicated not to be used in pregnancy and the thing is that this might have caused some problems to your pregnancy already. You have to go to see a doctor and try to run some test and see if anything is wrong. You need to stop taking the medication immediately because you can harm your baby even more. Also do not use this medication while you are breastfeeding because it can harm the baby this way as well.

Best wishes,
Marco

I know your post is a couple of years old but I'm hoping you are still able to contact. I am in exact same situation as you were in and have been frantically searching the internet for some answers. I'm also 5 wks pregnant and have been taking oxytetracycline. I'm so worried I have harmed my baby's development. Can you tell me what happened with you please. Would really appreciate some help. Thank you

Hi, I know this is a little late but please look at this link.

I know it is a little medical but basically it says it is unlikely to have caused a significant problem with your baby at this stage of development. The main problem it causes is with the developing skeleton and this is mainly in later pregnancy (2nd and 3rd trimester).

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

just read your post and wanted to tell you please don't worry! I was a huge partyer, bordering on it being an drug problem (meth mostly), and when I found out I was pregnant I was almost three months along! (i had stopped getting periods way prior to the pregnancy so I really had no idea and I was doing drugs ). I stopped using immediately and prayed and worried the whole pregnancy. The thing is, my baby was fine, he is healthy, 8yrs old now! I think that if you catch it early on in the pregnancy and stop using it your fine! Lots of people are on precription drugs that are harmful to babies when they discover that they are pregnant! They stop using it and the baby is fine! 5 wks is really early, please don't worry!