I'm a 47 year old female. I have been to the doctor about a year ago due to pain issues in my right knee. I have been told that it is calcium build up. I have a knot like on the side part of the knee. Every once in a while it gets very painful for me. My concern is, will I need surgery or can I just do therapy on it? 

I take Motrin and use an ice pack. The swelling and pain seems to go away after a while. Is this a problem that someone else may have also.