I went to the podiatrist this morning for a pain in my shin that I've been having off and on for the last 2 months or so. Seems to only bother me after 5 or 6 miles and then goes away within an hour or so after I quit running.

The Dr. did X-rays this morning and didn't find anything so he scheduled a bone scan to check for a stress fracture.

So, should I follow through with the bone scan and all of the follow-up appointment stuff? Last week then I made the appointment, my leg was really hurting and I could barely walk on it, but this week (and especially this morning) we really had to search to find the spot where the pain was. :|

Did you have several days rest before you appointment? If you have had it for 2 months, I would verify one way or the other. You may be on the brink of a SF.

Also, will it be covered by insurance? I just had a MRI done and was very thankful that it was covered!!

Can you fit in a longer run right before the appointment so you show up with a good "ache" going? :shrug:

If it isn't covered by insurance, I won't be getting it done. That's too much money to spend on something that hurts 'sometimes'.

But also remember, running and biking are a very important part of your life. If it hurt enough to get you to go to the doc in the first place it was probably a pretty serious/intense pain. It is possible it could start hurting more and more frequently, possibly sidelining you. I would get it checked out for the peace of mind.

Oooh, looks like some folks are getting to know PH fairly well...

I agree with all of the above, especially airehead.

follow through. Bone Scan is pretty good and a thorough test.

:nono: FOLLOW THRU...or am I going to be forced to come down there and whoop you boy! Then you'll have an even bigger boo boo!

Hmm, lemme think about this.....YES!!! GO NOW!!!!
As you may remember, I was dx'd with three of them last year and ran a half marathon on them about 3 weeks before the bone scan. This after ignoring them for four months prior to that, and by the time they got discovered, the one was almost bad enough to put pins into!!! As it was I was benched for FIVE months instead of the normal 6-8 weeks it takes to heal if you stay off it.
DO IT NOW......get it over with, and if it's not a fracture you can all you want, but if it is, it'll only get worse if you keep running on it. And you can cross train, at least swim and possibly bike, depending on where it is, but not if your leg cracks in half and they have to put you in a plaster cast.
Also, just so you know, an SF will NOT show on an x-ray, the only way to find one is the bone scan.

The bone scan was supposed to be this morning but I cancelled it. It required taking a half day off from work and I'm just not going to do that for something that only bothers me a little and only sometimes.

Mine didn't, they let me go back and forth because they do have to do several scans in order to let the radioactive stuff they inject you with get to the site of the potential fracture, but I was close enough to work that I insisted I wasn't sitting there waiting all day and they said OK. Aren't you? Don't they have evening hours? I'm telling you, mine didn't hurt every day either but it would have been way bigger of a problem had I run that second half I was planning and my bone snapped in half, which could eventually happen since you aren't staying off of it. Stop being a stubborn ass and go get the scan done!!!!!! You know part of this is knowing you'll be benched if there is a fracture and you're avoiding that, but you know what? Is it worth a longer benching if it gets worse??