I went for a 30min run yesterday and got shin splints once again so I finally went last night to a running store that some buddies told me had a lot of experience in running and orthopedics. So I went there and the guy had me take off my shoes and walk around a bit and do a few other things and he told me that I am using the wrong shoe which is why I've been getting the shin splints, he said that I'm flat footed and have been using a cushioned shoe and instead should be using a stability shoe or maybe even a motion control shoe because I overpronate. So after trying on some recommended shoes that he suggested I bought a pair of Saucony Grid Omni 4's. Question is...yesterday I had the shin splint and I was feeling better today so I went out for a run in my new shoes to see how they felt during a longer period of time, I was only out there for 25 minutes and got shin splints throughout the run. Could this be because I haven't healed from yesterday yet or could it be because I didn't get the right shoes? Should I wait a few days for it to completely heal, run again and see how things are or go and talk to the guy at the store again?

thx,
Dave

I don't know that I have all the answers on this one, but I was suffering from shin splints for a while during the past couple of months of training. When I bought a new pair of shoes the pain didn't go away right away, but over three weeks it did. But, I also didn't back off on my training and perhaps I should have.

One thought I have is that perhaps instead of going for 25 minutes, only run for 15 minutes for a while. But if you're running the day after you were having the shin splints, it may very well be an issue of it being too raw still.

Well unfortunately shin splints are not the kind of injury that a couple days off will heal. You would probably have to take weeks off for the pain to be completely eradicated when you run. As long as its not a stress fracture, you can usually just run through the pain. If its like leg-crippling pain of course don't run through it but if its just mild discomfort you can go through it. If you continue to run through them you may notice the pain lessening since you will get used to it - but once again, make sure it is not a serious stress fracture. You shouldn't run through that, of course :P

Walk around in your new shoes before you run in them more