Hello all,
This is my first post. On February 28, I was playing basketball and this 260 lb behemoth landed on my foot. I new I was in trouble right away. I immediately went to the orthopedic who told me I was lucky, and nothing was broken. He gave me a cam walker to use, however I could not put any weight on my foot for weeks. I went back to the Doc around 2 weeks later to rule out a lis franc fracture, he sent me for an mri and the results were negative. On memorial day weekend 12 weeks after my injury I went to see a foot specialist who said I had a lis franc injury and recommended bone fusion. I went to see another orthopedic the next day, who recommended I do physical therapy for 4 to 6 weeks and then decide. Well I am now over 15 weeks into my injury, 3 weeks from when I started the physical therapy. I am still not walking normally, however there is improvement. I have my x-rays and when I measured, it looks to me like my dislocation is around 5 mm. I am trying desperately to avoid surgery. If I can walk normally in three weeks I will opt for NOT having the bone fusion. However I feel like I have been saying, that I should be walking normally in the next few weeks for a long time now. I am getting better, but I am still no where close to 100 percent. I feel for everyone out there. This has been the most debilitating, frustrating injury I have ever had. I would also say, unlike most people, I feel since there was a misdiagnosis, I have done everything that I probably shouldn't have done. i.e. weight bearing 2 weeks after the injury. Any way I'll keep those of you interested, updated on my non surgical progress. All I can do is pray that I heel so I can surf and walk normally. I guess this is an injury we will all live with forever.

Hi bigmosur

I've also gone through the misdiagnosis saga and share your frustration and anxiety over this. Much as I hate the idea of surgery, it is likely to be our best (possibly only) option at this late stage, so please don't shy away from it. Do please keep me updated on your progress. :-)

Hi gaspodia,
You are correct. I had surgery two weeks ago. My foot just would not get better. I rehabbed like crazy, however the instability was still there and I couldn't get off the balls of my foot. My surgery was 6 months after the injury. The Doc used 2 tightropes and also injected stem cells into my lis franc ligament. We will see how it goes. I am hoping for the best.
What's your story?
Jeff

I'm glad you've had the surgery now - everything I've read about late diagnosis and treatment says it will still help it getting worse. Stem cells? I don't think they do that here in the UK, but I will ask!

I injured my foot at the beginning of July and was initially discharged from the accident and emergency dept of a hospital near where I work with a pair of crutches and instructions to bear weight on the foot as soon as I was able.

5 days later the hospital telephoned to say they had spotted something in my x-ray during their cold review and could I go back to them or to my nearest A&E? I opted to go to my local A&E, where they x-rayed the foot again and couldn't find anything wrong. They then rang the first hospital and asked them what they should be looking for. After that, they came and told me I had a suspected lisfranc, put my leg in a cast and told me not to bear any weight on it.

3 days later I went back to A&E as the cast was rubbing against my foot, making it very sore. They reapplied the cast and, as it was quiet, they took me through the injury and showed me the problem area on my x-ray.

2 days later I attended the fracture clinic, where a doctor took all of nine seconds to decide it wasn't lisfranc. He also said he ought to do a CT scan and a stress x-ray, but then immediately said he wasn't going to as there was no need! He removed the cast and sent me home with instructions to bear weight on the foot as soon as possible. He told me to get my GP to arrange physiotherapy, which I did. He gave me a follow up appointment and told me to phone up in two weeks time to cancel it as I would be better by then.

4 weeks later I went to my follow up appointment as I was still unable to walk properly and could not bear much weight on the foot. I saw a different doctor this time, who rapidly skimmed through my notes, told me to wear more supportive footwear and to return in 6 weeks for a final x-ray.

6 weeks later, I went back to the fracture clinic with a foot that still couldn't bear a lot of weight or go down stairs at all. A different doctor again; this one told me that my previous consultant had left and he strongly disagreed with the diagnosis and treatment to date. Aargh! He said in his opinion it definitely was lisfranc and that I may have damaged the foot further with the previous treatment and physiotherapy. He also said it was too late to worry about immobilising the foot, but that I must bear as little weight as possible on it and ordered and MRI scan.

After a fruitless attempt to arrange the MRI and a follow up appointment within a reasonable time frame, I gave in and booked a private appointment for next Thursday. More news then I guess!

Let me know what happens. You should definitely see an orthopedic foot specialist. I hope all goes well.
Jeff
[/img]/Users/jeffreymodiano/Desktop/foot 2.jpg