Recently when I have been runnning I am getting a sharp pain in my foot. It's on the outside of the right foot. Sometimes the pain goes up to my ankle. Yet this pain doesn't happen all the time. I ran last Friday, didn't bother me running but then I got the pain in the middle of the day. Run a half marathon on Sunday it did bother me. But yet this morning when I ran it was fine. Any suggestions on what if might be?

Does it feel muscle or bone related? Have you increased your milage recently? How many miles do you have on you shoes? Was the 1/2 your longest race so far?

Hopefully a few days off should get you past; but, it is best to narrow down the cause if you can. If it is muscle related, soak in ice bath :umno: and take some ibuprofen.

When you say it goes up your ankle how far and where on your ankle? I have a problem at the end of last summer where my 4th Metatarsel popped out of place, below my cubriod. The only pain I felt was on the outside of my foot up the ankle (from the muscles being strectched)

It feels more muscle related. Like a sharp pulling feeling. I started increasing my milage a month or so ago. The longest run I have done was like 13.5 or 14. I remember it bothered me on some of that run (i keep a notebook with how I feel after runs). So I am thinking it might be the distance increase. As far as the sneakers, I know I am at the point I need a new pair, I am actually planning on getting a pair this week at a special running store to make sure I am in the right size and style.

It could be a number of things, so you might want to see the doctor just in case, but, I had something that sounded similar, sharp pain on the lateral edge of my right foot 4 weeks ago and it was peroneal insertional tendonitis. The peroneus brevis and peroneus longus go up the side of your leg and kind of help to keep your ankle from twisting. I got mine from running in uneven terrain where I was having to correct my ankles quite a bit. I was given a prescription anti-inflammatory, an icing regimine and told to layoff, which I did, and 3 weeks later I was able to run a marathon on it.

Good luck to you, injuries are no fun.

How long was your layoff? The whole 3 weeks? I have similar foot problems, but after a couple of days off it was better. But then it came back, but not as bad. I really dislike going to the doctor, but I guess I'm gonna need to bite the bullet & go. Less than 2 weeks to the marathon, though :?

Yes. I tried to run about a week later and it hurt from the first step. I swore off any more runs and iced like crazy until the marathon. Within the week before it felt okay just walking around but I didn't want to risk it hurting on a run that close (or maybe I just didn't want to know) so I didn't run again until the marathon. At the marathon it was fine. Take it easy until next weekend and ice it occasionally just for kicks, I bet you'll be okay, but you might get it checked out, especially if its worse after the marathon. Good luck!

I saw my doctor this week. He's sending me to get an x-ray just to be safe even thought he doesn't think it's bone related. He thinks it is ligament related. It doesn't hurt me all the time. It's weird. He made a good point that I didn't even think about before - he asked what direction my running routes went.....I had to think about it for a minute and then I realized all the routes I run consist of mostly right turns. He said this could have something to do with it. (more pressure on that foot) I am going to start to run my routes in reverse (sorry Dancer) for a while to see what happens. Also going this weekend to get some new sneakers. I am going to a running speacility sport (like always) to get fitted and see what they have to say.

That was kind of my situation too, it happened to me on a 4 loop major cambored run. After my 3 weeks' rest, mine hasn't bothered me at all. I hope you have the same luck. Keep us posted.

Ran in new sneakers today on my 8 mile run. They definatly have more support. My arches are a little sore. I think I just have to get use to them. I haven't had the pain in my foot for a week now. We reversed some route and even after a 16 mile run last weekend it felt fine. We'll see.

There are, in fact, three peroneal muscles. The peroneus longus, peroneus brevis and peroneus tertius. All three are involved with eversion: bringing the bottom of the foot up laterally, and are also active during plantar flexion, i.e. pushing off with the big toe. The peroneus longus originates at the head of the fibula (up by the knee) and goes behind the lateral malleolus (ankle bone), under the foot and attaches on the underside of the base of the first metatarsal (big toe). The peroneus brevis and tertius, start lower on the leg, go in front of the lateral ankle bone, and attach on the lateral aspect of the 5th metatarsal (the little toe). If your pain is related to one of these muscles, peroneal tendonitis, it sometimes feels exactly like a stress fracture. Oh, and the new shoes. You shouldn't "have to get used to them". Running shoes should feel good on your feet the first time you put them on in the store. You should also be able to take them home to wear them around the house for a couple of hours. After a few hours in the shoes, you'll be able to tell if they still feel good. If not, you should be able to return them to said store. And, if they don't feel good after a couple of hours around the house, chances are they won't feel good while you're running.