I have been training for a marathon and after a short run this week, I was having a lot of pain on the outside of my left foot, between my heel and the ankle bone. When I got home and took my shoe off, the area was very swollen and the swelling has not gone away (it has been 4 days now). It hurts to flex my foot, and is painful whenever I put weight on the ball of my foot. Does anyone have any suggestions or know what this could be?

I have the EXACT same symptoms. Did you ever figure out what this was?

Thanks!
Rob

Or anyone else that might have some information on this? I have set up an appointment with an orthopedist worried that it might be a calcaneal stress fracture.

I visited an orthopedist and found out that I have a rather large stress fracture in my calcanues (heel) bone. I'll be biking/swimming for the next 4 weeks (had already been off of it for 2 weeks).

I recommend to anyone that has these symptoms to quit running immediately and see a physician.

I had a minor stress fracture and had to stop running for a couple weeks. Luckily, I was all healed up right in time for my marathon. I agree, if anyone else experiences these kinds of symptoms, see a doctor immediately - it can be much worse if you keep trying to run on it.