Saturday 04-19-2003 I went on a long(ish) run of 14 miles and did about 30 miles of cycling. Sunday morning I got up for a quick little 'loosen up' run since I was a little stiff from the long run and hard ride.

3.5 mile loop that I usually run on. All paved roads and pretty much obstacle-free.

About half-way out, my right foot starts hurting. It's more acute pain than I normally feel on a run but I went ahead and finished my run since I was half-way out. Pace was pretty slow and easy.

The pain in my foot is kind of on the side of the foot but still on the bottom too. Make sense? :? It's where the pinky toe metatarsal connects to all of the little bones at the back of the foot.
Surely I didn't get a stress fracture on such a thick part of the bone, did I? I've taken off Mon, Tues, Wed so far from running. It feels pretty good today but sometimes it really hurts when I step on it, much like my stress fracture from last year. (Different foot and different bone)

It doesn't hurt at all to cycle on it.

I've also got a mild case of PF in the foot but the pain is in the heel, not where this new pain developed.

Does the pain ratiate up the leg at all? Have you been doing a lot of running/riding using the front of your foot? (i.e. hill running)

I had my 4th metatarsel pop out of place last summer and it hurt but I could still run on it (kind of) but it was really bad in the morning. Anything that didn't put a lot of pressure on the foot was ok to do. It felt like it was the outside of my foot that was hurting. It also caused so much pain in my calf I thought it was a calf problem at first.

No. Last week was a full week of easy running.

Does it feel like you are running on a stone? Is it constant pain or bits of pain here and there? I have a neuroma in each foot and that is what it feels like. It got to the point where I could only run 7-8miles until the pain started. Then it felt like I had a rock in my shoes. But mine was between the 3rd and 4th toes on the ball of my foot. What happens is my feet expand more than usual and if the shoe is too tight it causes the nerves to bunch up together. Causing pain!!! If it is that I have a few suggestions:
Are your shoes wide enough? Loosen the toe box on your running shoes more than you think you need to. I find my bike shoes are not wide enough (I don't know of a super wide bike shoe out there) and when I go from those to a run I can feel my neuroma more than on other days. Eventually I ended up getting orthodics. Those plus mens wide shoes have really helped. I did my training for the marathon and the marathon with only a few twinges.

I had foot pain, but it was more toward my instep when I needed new shoes. Are you due for a new pair?

I don't think it's a neuroma. I thought that's what my first stress fracture was but it ended up being the worse of the two. My shoes are as wide as they make them.

I did a run on Friday after taking four days off from running and the pain made it's way back. After 35 minutes, it was pretty acute.

I'm going to make an appointment with the podiatrist on Monday. If it's another stress fracture, I'm going to explode! :flames:

On a brighter note, I'm getting lots of bike miles in.

I had that right around xmas/new years. Had it in each foot, in fact (not at the same time, luckily). In my case it was peroneal tendonitis and I have no idea what caused it since I was being extra-extra gentle and careful since I'd just recovered from a nasty case of shin splints .

With the right foot (first time) the podiatrist gave me a cortisone shot (which hurt) and it took about 5 days before I could run without feeling like the tendon was tearing and 10 days before I could run 100% pain-free. Ice helped a lot.

With the left foot (2nd bout, about a week later) I iced and ibu'd for a week before I saw a doctor. No cortisone that time, and it was another week before running was fun again.

The purpose of this anecdote is: with a cortisone shot it took about 2 weeks to heal, and without the shot it took about 2 weeks to heal. The shot gave me some short-term relief, but I ran sooner than I should have. Your mileage may vary.

Hope you feel better soon.