I was running tonight and around mile 4, my toes started to hurt. Just the four small toes on my left foot. By 5.5 miles, I had a distinct pain in the middle/top of my foot. It's pretty painful, and I was definitely favoring my right leg for the last half mile. It's a pretty centralized pain on the top of my foot, about 2 inches before my toes, right in the middle. There's no swelling or discoloration. The only thing I can think of is that I smashed it into something while biking and it's just bruised, or possibly broken (but I really doubt it). I never felt anything wrong with it at all until after about 4 miles tonight. Nothing eventful during the run, no mis-steps or anything.

Ideas?

It can be a metatarsal (referring to the bones in the midfoot region) stress fracture but don't make any conclusions until you see the doctor and get a bone scan done. Is it a localized pain where it hurts especially if you apply pressure on it?
Are your shoes worn out or too tight? It could be an irritated/inflamed tendon (peroneals I think...) I had a similar problem with my foot way back in late December/January and that was b/c of old, worn out shoes (I procrastinated on buying a new pair). That took about 2.5 weeks to heal

It's not a problem with the shoes. It is a very localized pain, and does hurt when I apply pressure by pushing on it, but not a lot of pain. It DOES hurt like heck when I transfer weight on my foot. I woke up this morning and there's a very slight bit of swelling but I can't really walk well on it. It is most painful when I transfer my weight from a normal standing position to the ball of my foot.

When you press on it does it hurt bad or hurt good? Does the pain seem to lessen after applying pressure?

Is the pain between your metatarsals or on them?

It could either be a stress fracture or a Morton's neuroma....definitely get the bone scan first, SFs do not show up on xrays.

Not sure if that shows anything, but it hurts where the little circle is. It's right on the metatarsal for my second to largest toe. There's the tendon right there also, and I can't tell whether it's the bone or the tendon, but i'd guess bone. What do you mean hurt bad or hurt good? The pain does lessen when applying pressure. I just taped my foot, and it reduces the pain quite a bit.

You have VERY ugly feet, lol. So does everyone else though, so don't worry about your ugly bear feet, that's okay. As for the pain, go to the doctor if you think it's neccassary.

This sounds like the exact same thing I've got. I don't know what it is, but I've been icing my foot regularly and I stopped running. I felt pain last Saturday and by today its much better. I almost don't feel any pain at all now.

Personally I am going to give it 2 more days and run like a very short distance and see how it feels and test it out.

I know going to the doctor is always the smart thing to do, but honestly if you went to the doctor every single time people recommend it, then you'd have a cot set up in the waiting room with your name on it.