I have had chronic pain under my left ribcage that radiates to my back. I recently had my gallbladder out, and that did not change the pain. Anyone experience similar symptoms? Scared it could be serious.

Have you ever considered a possibility that this pain you feel has something to do with your left kidney as its epicenter is located in this area? I myself had similar pains some time ago and I was told it was the consequence of having the kidney stones. It began with just feeling the slight pain and later I started urinating blood and it later turned into a massive problem with all the antibiotics therapy which lasted a long while! I don’t want to scare you or anything, I just want you to have this on your mind, as I can compare this pain with the one I felt at the beginning when I was still unaware that it might be the problem with my kidney.
I think the pain you felt before removing your gallbladder had nothing to do with it as it attacks consist of right upper quadrant abdominal pain which is pain just under the rib cage on the right side and you had pains on your left side.
I just can’t set up a diagnose for your problem, I think the best solution is to talk to your health care provider.

Hi, I had not thought of that. I had two catscans done in December, so just checked those and they both say kidneys normal. Would stones be detected on a catscan?

To detect kidneys stones, a doctor may order an x-rays or an ultrasound if someone complains of sudden pain or maybe even blood in the urine. These tests could be also performed if blood and urine tests indicate a presence of abnormal substances indicating kidneys stones. X-rays and Ultrasound could give information such as about the stone's size and location.
Other tools that could be used for checking for kidney stones are Intravenous pyelogram (IVP). It is a form of x rays which uses a special dye that is injected into the arm. This kind of tool makes clear pictures of the urinary system.
CAT scan could also be used as this kind of tool gives three-dimensional cross-sectional pictures of the organs and areas.

What if all these symptoms are the same EXCEPT no blood or cultures in the urine. White Cell count is fine. Culture tests came back clean.
But I have ALL the same symptoms and pains??

I have the same problem... no blood, just a strange pain just under my rib cage (lower left side)...........? It has been going on for a while

There is a genetic disease in my family and none of us can ever remember the name, we always just call it creeping crud because at any time (keep in mind this isn't a constant thing and if what you're experiencing doesn't ever go away you need to see your doctor) - at any time a mild to excruciating pain in your upper abdomen generally in your ribcage and chest often on both sides though often it does radiate through my left side and into my back. I may have a week or two where I experience it every day or I may just feel the pain one day and not think about it again till it comes back months later. Sometimes its fairly regular. The pain is unusual, you can be in any position and its never any better, it can bring you to tears, sometimes its dull and you don't hardly notice it. It can feel somewhat like cramping but worse, its hard to describe. Anyway its often genetic and there's nothing anyone can do about Doctors say it doesn't do any harm to you but I've always been skeptical, I mean your bodies pain receptors are trying to tell you something right? Sorry I know I'm going on and on, if this sound anything like what's going on with you I'd be happy to tell you more if you have any questions(my email is **** and my name is sarah) and I hope this helps.

**edited by moderator**emails not allowed**

Discomfor on left side after meals.
Similiar condition for a while now.
I found out that when I eat too much at one sitting this happens. So I have dinner in 2 sessions. Half of dinner and then one hour later the other half. Problem lessens or is not there. Quantity of food matters and recognizing when too much is too much. I eat enough to live on --not live to eat but eat to live.-- Seems I enjoy my meals much better also.

my mother was fine up till a few days ago then she felt sick... she says there is a sharp pain on her left side below her ribs and above her hip that radiates to her back ... she also says it will not go away. she feels the same way no matter what she eats or does concerning activities and such. she cant tell when the pain comes in larger amounts it just shows up and she doesnt want to move. i would like to know what this may be.

I also have pain under my left ribcage and read in another forum from a person who suffered the same, until he discovered he was low on magnesium and after taking his daily requirement through supplements it went away. So i tried it since i dont really eat alot of the vegetables that contain magnesium and my pain went away.

i have the same issues, pain under my left ribcage and goes around to my back. What have doctors told any of you that, what could be wrong? any help would be appreciative. thanks

what if you have extreme pain under ur right ribs that goes into ur back and you go to the e.r and they do x rays and still cant figure it out? i can barely breathe walk or talk. ---hurtin'

not sure about my back pain it's on sy left side in the middle almost upper back any suggestions on why it's been hurting for almost 2 days

I have had chronic pain in my lower back just as you described and because I have had a kidney infection previously, I at first thought that's what it was. I was incorrect. I went through ultrasounds and various blood work, etc. to no avail. I then went to my therapeutic masseur who is very knowledgeable in many areas of physical pain....and after a lot of prodding and poking....and asking a lot of questions....he told me very certainly that it was a floating rib problem. If you look up the characteristics of this problem, you'll probably find that this could very well be your problem. I find a really good series of massages helps considerably, but it is a chronic condition and it does return. I was just very comforted that I finally found out what it was and that it didn't involve any organs. This apparently is quite a common condition, so it amazes me that doctors are not more aware of it. Hope this helps. Good luck.

i am 22 years old. i have been having lower left and right abdominal pain that seems to radiate up my sides and into my lower back and i have been feeling nauses. i started having the pain saturday december 25. the pain seems to vary in intensity. i need some useful advice