I feel pain under my left back shoulder blade when I inhale. I can only take shallow breaths to avoid the pain. It also is unconfortable when I sleep on my left side or move my arm in certain motions.

I am having similar pain in my right shoulder, when i inhale it hurts a lot at the fuller expanse of my lungs, and its getting progressively worse despite people telling me it will get better after sleep. It aches constantly.

I have spent ages trying to find out what it could be and found nothing. I would be greatfull if anyone has any ideas.

I also had this under my left shoulder. I'm not sure if it's the same as you describe but it was on my back, about 4 inches below my left shoulder blade. I thought it was also something between my lungs and the back of my rib cage. On a hunch I decided to try to "work" it out. Basically I used a door jam to massage the area and the pain has never returned. Seems to have been a knot in the muscle. I'd suggest going to get a professional massage and let them know where the pain is.

Sometimes back pain can be referred pain from your organs. Organ malfunction causes pain in different areas of your body including arms and back. I think the area under the shoulderblade can be somehow related to your galbladder. That's one possibility, try to find a referred pain chart online. But yeah, go to the doctor.

I had similar pain for a long time almost a year off and on, i discovered i was actually suffering from lupus and the inflammation is what was causing my pain. I would suggest seeing a chiropractor but that if it is persistent or returns to see your doctor and get your antibody levels tested for an autoimmune or other inflammatory disorder. My pain is completely under control and i rarely have to take medication only when i am experiencing discomfort. Not to freak people out, the back and breathing pain was one among several other symptoms such as joint pain in general and minor hair loss. There is also a history of lupus in my family. Still it never hurts to be sure.

I have been having this pain for the last 24 hours. When I inhale, I suffer a sharp pain under my right shoulder blade. I started searching online this morning and found this-
I followed the instructions, found a very tender spot near my armpit towards the back, massaged it.... and AM BETTER! Good luck!

Organ malfunction? Seeing a chiropractor for anything other than a massage is not only reckless, it will do nothing to cure organ malfunction of all things. These "professionals" are not allopathic medical doctors, they are merely doctors of chiropractic medicine, if you can even call it that.If you need a massage, see a chiropractor. If you need medical attention, you need to see a physician with a doctorate of medicine. The pain under your shoulder blade is quite common and known as rhomboid spasm. It can occur from overuse of the shoulder and sleeping on the left side can produce exacerbation of the discomfort by way of compression against the rhromboid muscle region.

Chiropractic practice is not quackery. True, there are times when one needs a regular medical doctor, but chiropractors bring a lot of relief in certain situations. There is room in this world for many different approaches.

I have pain which started 3 days ago. Upon wakening I had a sharp pain under my right shoulder blade. It got progressively worse throughout the day and didn't go away after sleeping. I took ibuprofen and paracetamol which didn't help. It hurts to stand or breathe. I thought it must be muscular skeletal pain, I probably slept awkwardly. I noticed that I was spotty in the area but I put it down to me irritating the area, it's been hot and it was under my bra strap. I went to the doctors, after checking my chest, breathing and temperature, he diagnosed me initially with a muscular skeletal problem and prescribed me more powerful painkillers. I told him about the rash which he missed because of the bra, it turns out I have shingles and have been prescribed anti viral drugs. I totally didn't expect that result, i thought it was a posture problem. Quite painful.

..I had same symptoms, only to find months later, i had a pulmonary embolism. I had been given injections of fragmen, and put on blood thinners for a few months. I am now re experiencing the same same symptoms, and doctors are baffled. My Chiropractor diagnosed this as Costochondritis , and started anti viral treatment. Have your doc check for that.
good luck

They can and do improve organ function. I am living proof. I had a damaged spleen causing MS symptoms...Chiropractic treatment (alone) completely healed it. The health of the nervous system is crucial to ALL bodily functions. But it is certainly necessary to be careful about which Chiropractor you go to...not all have the proper training or your best interest at heart. Don't blindly dismiss it...there is real science behind it.

My name is Martina I am very scared bc I have the same symtoms u have. If I may ask bc I'm scared to go to doc what ur diagnosis was and how long it takes to get over? Please contact me ASAP.

I get that same pain, when i breathe in, i get a shooting pain under my left shoulder blade and i also use a door way wall to break the knot up. it works but my concern is that is this a sign of lung problems or is it that i just slept wrong? sincerely sue

Could be pleurisy...I've had it numerous times.  I have an auto immune condition and this is common to have pleursity with it.

I had similar pain and after 6+ months of physical therapy I went to see a sports accupuncturist. He gave me accupuncture with electo-stim and I had dramatic relief after the first session and felt 100% a few days after my second session. I would reccommend to try this if you can't figure out a cause. Mine ended up being a deep knot that no massage, physical therapy, or medication could cure.