When I'm sick and during pollen season, every time I lie down my soft palate starts to hurt really badly. The holes on the soft palate that connects the mouth with the nasal cavities expand and become sore, making it painful to breathe through my nose and when I swallow. 

In everyday life, one of my nostrils is always blocked by mucus. If I lie down on my right side, the mucus inside my nose moves to the right and blocks the right nostril and vice versa for the left nostril.  It is not uncommon for me to see blood in the mucus after blowing my nose. 

Usually, one side of my soft palate hurts the most and it is the side connected to the unblocked nostril. I.e. if I lie on my right side, my right nostril gets blocked, I breathe in through my left nostril, some of the air travels down to the left side of the soft palate and it becomes sore. The pain can be alleviated by putting my tongue on the palate "holes" and prevent the air from going through them (this is however impossible to do while sleeping...)

Now, during pollen season, going to bed is like a nightmare to me. Falling asleep is a real hassle and I always wake up in the middle of the night due to the pain. Sometimes, I find that sitting up while sleeping helps a bit, but this is very uncomfortable.

I have been to the doctor a few years ago and was advised to use Nasonex (Mometasone) nasal spray, which hasn't helped at all. I am going to revisit the doctor soon, but in the meanwhile I could really use some help getting my sleep back. Thank you for reading this!

I had the exact same problems!
I've been to a top notch E.N.T. & what I had was acid reflux. 
The reason my sinuses were so bad is partially because the acid gets into the sinus cavity and the sinuses are trying to protect you by creating more mucus so the acid won't burn you.  
It was weird because I never had heartburn, but I did have ears, nose, throat and soft palate pain and unbearable sinus congestion, especially at night and in the mornings. 
The doctor had me change my diet to low-acidic/ high alkaline foods (avoid smoking, alcohol, carbonated beverages, caffeine, tomatoes, orange juice and spicy foods, do not lie down or exercise two hours after meals, eat small meals) and I also bought a neti-pot machine for the sinuses called 'grossan hydro pulse' to naturally clear out sinuses at least twice a day and I bought a special pillow called an acid reflux wedge that keeps you comfortably wedged up at an angle while you sleep so no acid escapes the stomach while sleeping and it helps keep post nasal drip minimal and also helped with my breathing. Also, milk products create mucus in your throat and sinuses, so I stay away from them if possible. It took me a while to conform to my new ways, but I am much happier and healthier and pain free without medications that do not work and other doctors fees that are far more expensive. Before this doc, I went to another who gave me those nasal sprays and I had an allergic reaction to it that caused nosebleeds. I would stay away from the meds and try the neti pot if I were you! 
If not treated correctly and if persistent for a long period of time, acid reflux may lead to esophageal cancer. So please at least try to see if this will work for you as it has for me! 

Occasionally I too have pain in the soft palate. A thick gel like discharge seems to cause the pain. It seems to be pronounced at night and in the morning. It clears quickly when I use the NAVAGE Nasal Unit and salt pods with tepid distilled water. Which loosens the mucus so it can easily come out at the back of the throat. ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of web addresses is not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use I suffer from year round allergies from many causes. Also I have GERD. The NAVAGE is gentle and much more effective than the Neti Pot. I use only distilled water in the unit and vinegar and water to clean the unit. Followed by a clear water rinse of unit. I have been using this method for about a year with much success. It has minimized all my sinus and throat issues. I have been able to cut down on use of allergy meds. Also sleeping on more than one soft pillow, and on the left side may help.