Hi. I have some problem that is really uncommon. At least, I think so. I have heard that people are having some panic attacks when they are in the elevator for example, or when they are alone and those things. But I have some other type of panic attacks. I have panic attacks when watching scary or sad movies. It is really weird but I can't control it and I don't know why this is happening to me. All of my friends told me that they are not familiar with this problem. Is it just me or are there someone with the similar problem? 

It is not just you, Guest, this happens to a lot of people. I think that this actually happens to everyone suffering from panic attacks. 

I think you are subconsciously connecting or relating your real life with horror films. Also you can try to control your panic attacks while watching by pulling your self away emotionally. If the panic attacks include seizures or headaches then the light frequency of the movie may be the cause. This occurs in a small percent of the population. I would see a psychologist for techniques on dealing with these issues, they should know the best.

Same thing for me too. I had a really bad panic attack watching a movie one time and I had to leave the theater. It took me a good couple of hours to calm down. I couldn't go back to a movie theater for a few years because I was so scared that it would happen again. I don't really have panic attacks anymore, just constant anxiety (not sure which is worse). I saw this movie recently and there were some extreme explosions and chases that might be 'too much' but overall it was good. Maybe start again with a less aggressive movie and work your way back up to the intense ones.

I agree with Deni, this indeed happens to a lot of people out there.

I'm guessing that it is quite easy to understand why you get a panic attack when watching a scary movie. People who aren't suffering from panic attacks, anxiety, or depression easily freak out when they are watching scary movies, imagine what can they do to a person who is having panic attacks.

I'm not sure about the sad ones, though. Too much emotions maybe? Yes, I think you might be connecting people and scenes from these movies to your own life and that's why you start having these panic attacks.

I have these as well, but only when watching scary movies. I used to love them when I was a kid but not anymore.

It first started about a year ago. I thought it was just going to happen that one time and that I'm going to be okay later. That was such a bad judgment. It happened again, and then again. I did what you just did, I searched around and asked people about it and they all talked about it like it was something extra normal. I eventually decided to stop watching scary movies completely because I didn't know what else to do.

Ou, don't worry. It is not just you. A lot of people are having panic attacks, especially when they are watching scary movies. So, you are not the only one. I don't have them very often, but I do have them. When I watch sad movies, I start to think about life and what can happen so I start to get really nervous and I start to panic. The other story is when I look scary movies. I start to have the panic attacks as soon as something dangerous or scary starts to happen. I don't know is this curable, but...

Good day everyone. That is why I stopped to watch scary movies. Actually, as I kid I was watching them all the time, but now I am pretty sure that I hate watching scary movies. But I am not so sure that almost everyone is having panic attacks when they are watching movies like this. Actually, I am sure that very small percentage of the people are dealing with it. I am not sure is this "condition" has the name, but I am sure that doctors can help you deal this issue, so you should definitely visit your doctor. Good luck.

I just remember that I had huge panic attacks when I was watching "The exorcism". I was watching it with my friend and I just don't know how he could control me when I started to have those abnormal panic attacks. It was in the cinema and people were looking at me like I am crazy. OK, maybe I was crazy in that moment but I was not able to control myself. Maybe there is a small percentage of the people who were dealing with it, but I know that I just can't deal with scary movies. At all. And I am not the only one. 

I use to get them really bad from scary and sad movies. I've since learned how to control it, as I found that when a movie gets emotionally intense my breathing becomes shallow. So whenever I feel myself becoming overwhelmed I turn my focus on my breathing ( usually best to pause the movie... and for movie theaters I have to focus on my breathing and temporarly ignore the movie... though I try to avoid going to a movie that I know will be too much for me, as I hate missing parts ).