I remember having these panic attacks before as well but never like this. I never really noticed anything physical going on when I was having a panic attack, at least not before. In the past month, whenever I would have one of these panic attacks, I would feel how my heart is beating too fast, I read something about it and I figured out that this is called heart palpitations, if I'm correct that is. I want to know whatever you can tell me about this, is it dangerous, what does it mean and if there is a way, how can I stop this from happening? It is very unpleasant, it just makes me more scared.

Hi Nina,

When we feel our survival is somehow threatened, all mammals have an instinctual response to either fight or flee. This response produces a sudden surge of adrenaline, accompanied by strong feelings of anxiety and panic, and a very intense urge to flee or escape the fearful situation or circumstance.

The flow of adrenaline and the resulting extra blood flow increases your strength and awareness of the danger. This extra "awareness" of the perceived danger may cause all sorts of feelings, such as dizziness, nausea, hyperventilation, heart palpitations, confusion, lack of control, unreality, being dazed, shaking, trembling, and sweaty palms, among others.

Guest explained this pretty well there for you, Nina. Heart palpitations are more or less a common thing to go along with someone's panic attack, along with the other things that Guest wrote above. You don't need to worry additionally about this one, it won't do you no harm, but you should think about how to overcome these panic attacks that you are having.

It is almost impossible for a person to fight this on its own, so I advise talking to a professional for his or her help. You need to discover the root of your problem and then fix it.

I agree, depression and panic attacks are not something to be fought alone. I mean, being alone makes it even worse for you, but being in a bad company makes it the worst it can be. So be smart about this. Professional help is advised and I hope that you will find the courage and will to do it. Trust me, it can only do you good. It is often hard for people to talk to a psychologist about their anxiety, depression or panic attacks, but they can understand it the best, they are trained to understand it and to help you.

Good day everyone. 

It is true. Many people experience heart palpitations during anxiety attacks and that is something that can be really nasty and you really should find the way to control it. Generally, this pounding of your heartbeat can cause you to feel like you are having a heart attacks or as you are going to die, and that can cause more panic to you than anything else. 

Well, the good news is that the heart palpitations are often not that serious and that you should not have reason to be concerned but you should control it.

Good luck. 

Hey there. I am having similar problem and I don't know how exactly to deal with it. Here is why. I know that heart palpitations are not that dangerous, but I can't accept it. I am having them as well and whenever I wake up I start to have panic attacks that are caused by heart palpitations. And now I am reading all your comments and basically people are telling me that I should not be scared at all, but I don't know how to do it. Whenever I have those panic attacks, I feel like I am going to die. Do you have any advice on how to deal with it?
Thank you.

Hey there dear Guest. I understand what you are going through and I know that it is very easy for us to tell you how you should deal with something that you obviously have problem with. Panic attacks in a lot of cases are caused by heart palpitations and when you don't control it it can be very bad. But like somebody already told you - panic attacks and depression is not something that you should deal with alone. You need to seek for the help and find the best way to deal with it.
I really hope that you have someone who can help you fight against it, but also you need to understand it and learn to control it. That is the cure.

Hey there 62 Rafferty. Thank you for answering me that quick. So, the only way for me to fight against it is to learn to control it and to recognize it, right? Well, trust me that I have tried but nothing was not good for me. Nothing was not helpful. So the only thing that I need to do is to seek for the help. I didn't understand until now that I really need to find someone who can help me, that panic attacks are something that I should deal alone. I will listen to your advice. Thank you so much for helping me with this one.