Hello everyone,

I have a problem which is a pretty big problem for me. You see, I have a job, I have obligations and I need to drive a car. Otherwise, going around would be very expensive for me. But I have panic attacks and some people told me that it is better for me to not drive a car because I won't know how to cope with my panic attacks if it happens while I am driving.

I have to drive. That is why I am here, I have to ask you if you can tell me how can I cope with panic attack if I am driving when it occurs?

Hey Guest,

Driving while having panic attack is not advised because even if you see a cat on the street, you might freak out about driving over it and then you might crash your car or something.

Dealing with this includes learning how to deal with panic attacks when you are not driving, learn to control your panic attacks which occur when you are at home, for example. You see, if you learn to control other panic attacks that happen in your home, for example, you will also immediately learn how to cope with these panic attacks which occur while you are driving your car.

Yeah, I wouldn't do it if I were you. If you don't know how to handle panic attacks when they usually happen (when you are not driving), then you shouldn't be driving. If by any chance you happen to have a panic attack whilst driving, you are likely to freak out and to crash your car. That is not good, you are putting people's lives in danger and your own life as well. Just talk to the doctor if you don't believe me. People who are suffering from panic attacks are not supposed to drive a car, in some countries it is even forbidden.

Well, because of those panic attacks I have decides to leave my car by a side and stop driving it. I was feeling so insecure about this, I was really scared when I needed to sit into my car and I was aware that I am a dangerous for everyone who are around me as well.

So, I don't know how to cope with it, but I would leave the car until I find myself OK to drive it. I started to drive my car two months ago, but I am still insecure and I am scared of those panic attacks. 

Driving a car is considered as something that is normal and that adult people do every day. I was thinking this as well, even when I was diagnosed with depression and when my panic attacks started to happen more often than usual. But I was wrong. I remember that one day I was really frustrated because I had a huge fight with my boyfriend and I was depressed, stressed and I had panic attack when we had this fight, I didn't mind about it so I went to my car. I wanted to feel relaxed , I just wanted to drive my car around a little bit. And that was the first time when I caused a car crash. Since that day I have learned that I should not take a ride when I am depressed or while I am having panic attacks. Remember this whenever you sit in your car in this condition.

Those are very complicated situations. It happened to me a lot of times that I sit in my car and after a couple of minutes I start to have panic attacks. I was not able to concentrate, I was making so many mistakes and thanks God that I didn't have any accidents or something like this.

I know that I was out of my mind and I started to breath deeply. And guess what? It worked for me!

So, if you are in this situation, you really should try to concentrate on your breathing and you will cope with this panic attack while you are in your car. 

Hey mrs Sick and Tired. I understand that you need to learn how to breath, but I still do believe that you should stay away from the car when you are in situations like this.

It is not just about your life, it is a life of all the rest who are around you. You are putting yourself and the rest of the people in danger, so you should really think twice about this before you sit in your car.

I avoid it and if I really need to go somewhere urgently I call the cab. That is the best solution.