Also Considering Dr LArian in Los angeles , does anyone have any information for me....

Thanks

I had surgery with Dr Larian one year ago. He is the best of the best and very caring. If you contact him, he will call and answer any questions you have. You don't have to worry about what to say, he's just nice. I'll be glad to try to answer any questions also. Wherever you decide to go, be sure that you choose your surgeon very carefully and don't choose based on distance alone. Best wishes - mass-

What surgery did you have ? Do you have his email ? Our problem is we can not detect the parathyroids in the scans that we had done.

It could be the scans are not done right which is the case most of the time.

Please get back to me

Do you have any other information?

Thanks

Hi Hugestyle,

This board doesn't allow web addresses so you will need to do a search for Dr Babak Larian. You can email him from his website. I believe that he will be out of the office the last week of this month but I am not sure of that.

Shaye is the coordinator in the office and she is also very nice.

My scan was also negative. I never had high calcium and my endocrinologist kept saying that we would just watch it as no one would do surgery under those circumstances. Out of total frustration I looked up Dr Larian's info one night and emailed a question about his experience in those circumstances. I was completely surprised when he called me! He offered to look at the scan himself. I sent it to him and he said it was a good scan but he couldn't see anything definite. He suggested that I have a CT scan done. He still couldn't see an adenoma. I had a very large thyroid nodule that had been biopsied and that was all that showed. I asked him what I should do then and he said I would have to decide whether to have surgery under those circumstances. I didn't think my endo would go along with that so he offered to call her. They talked for 20 minutes and agreed that I should have the surgery and remove the thyroid nodule which would involve removing at least one lobe of the thyroid. Other than the nodule, he didn't know what he would find.

He found the parathyroid adenoma behind the thyroid nodule where it would probably never have showed on a scan and I think I would probably never have gotten to surgery without him. It was a long surgery with general anesthesia because of the size of the thyroid nodule. It was necessary to remove only one lobe of the thyroid. (It was later found to have two small cancers that were too small to detect.) I felt really good when the nurse in the recovery room said that his surgeries were always meticulous. The incision is about an inch and the only pain med I needed was two Tylenol when I first woke up. An ice pack felt good. The biggest discomfort was from the breathing tube which irritated my throat.

Dr Larian does MIP and uses the radio probe when it is needed to locate the adenoma. That's what I wanted since we didn't know where or if I had an adenoma. He does mostly advanced neck tumors and does parathyroidectomies on a weekly basis. He is fairly young but is a very skilled surgeon. In his office is a scrapbook of cards and thank you notes from patients that say things like "Thank you for saving my life" and "Thank you for taking care of me when everyone else had given up". I had his cell number after surgery and was instructed to call him day or night with problems or questions. I think I talked with him about ten times before I went to CA for surgery. By the time I woke up the next morning, he had already tried to call me but I had forgotten to turn my phone on.

Surgery was at Cedars Sinai - one of the best hospitals in the country. I was very pleased with the whole situation. I did spend a long time in the waiting room as the surgery before mine ran long but mine ran long too and we were getting the very precise surgeries that we needed. My vocal cords were protected during surgery and they use the intraoperative PTH monitor.

I don't know how the insurance works when you live in Canada but I don't think you can find a nicer or better surgeon anywhere.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions you have. mass

Hi Hugestyle, I just had parathyroid surgery Friday 11/19. The surgery went well. The doctors name is Dr. Fraker from the University of Pennsylvannia Hospital located in Philadelphia PA. He is board certafied and the Cheif of Oncology. He is the best in the area. All of his parathyroid operations are minimally invasive. Get the surgery, no worries! MT

Did you find an expert parathyroid surgeon in Canada ? I live in Canada, Have primary hyperparathyroidism.

I will be having mirp with Dr. Roger Tabah in Montreal. I am also Canadian and as far as I know, he is the only dr. in Canada to do the minimally invasive approach. I live in Ontario and was able to cover it with OHIP.

I seen lots of excellent comments about this Dr on Fb group "parathyroid Sufferers"

Thank You. I hope all goes well, I live in Manitoba

May I contact you ASAP re: your OHIP coverage of MIRP? I am appealing their decision and your info would be invaluable! Thanks!!!

AP May I contact you ASAP re: your OHIP coverage of MIRP? I am appealing their decision and your info would be invaluable! Thanks!!!

I am having same problem, live in manitoba. Hoping you get a reply as I need same information/help

I've been doing some research and it looks like Dr Tabah only does minimally invasive surgery, not MIRP. I had my surgery done in Tampa last summer and am battling OHIP for reimbursement. Other than the $11,000 US cost, I have zero regrets...it's an amazing place with the most competent physicians you'll ever meet up with. I am cured!

My wife has been advised to have parathyroid surgery. Because of negative scan, the surgery recommended is the intrusive cut and explore method. I hve been reading about the Norman Parathyroid Surgery Clinic in Tampa. Is this the place where you had your successful surgery?