Does anyone know of a surgeon in the Houston, Texas area who uses MIRP and is expert in parathyroid surgery. We are looking for an endocrinologist who performs 2 or more of these surgeries per month.

If you are a patient whom he or she operated on , please share your experience.

Thanks,

ThomasII

I have the same condition and also live close to Houston. Did you a find an appropriate endo and if so, who is he? Hope you got curred.
>> Card

Dr. Bechara Ghorayeb, 8830 Long Point, Suite 806, Houston, TX 77055 does this surgery. His specialty is Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery.

Hi there,
I am not from Texas and had no problems with my parathyroid so I can’t give you any names or refer you to some surgeon but I can tell you few things that you need to check before you choose your surgeon. The unfortunate thing is that parathyroid tumor must be removed by a surgery because there is no medication that can help you cure your condition. You have to know that risks in surgery are all depending on the expertise of the surgeon. Also you have to know that surgery lasts for 3 to 4 hours. Ask about the scar after the surgery, because I know that the incision is pretty big.
All the best,
Danella

Danella - you are correct that the risks of parathyroid surgery depend on the skill of the surgeon but but the surgery does not last 3-4 hours unless there are problems. If done by a surgeon who uses the minimally invasive methods, the scar will be only about one inch and it will hardly be noticeable.

Look for a surgeon who uses the radio probe when the tumor isn't readily located and intraoperative PTH testing to indicate that the offending gland has been removed. mass

Did you receive any feedback on this? My mom has to have this and will need to be in the houston area also.

MD Anderson Hospital does MIRP according to their website.

Check out the American Association of  Endocrine Surgeons:

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

I found only one in my city, but not in my network.  Found a few 300 miles away.

Took me most of Sunday to find this site.  I would consider Dr Norman in Tampa, but I don't think my insurance will cover his 4-figure consultation fee.  Add airfare and hotel ...  he only has patience who can afford it.  This is a sad testament to his conviction as a health care professional.

Ditto to all you said. I too found Dr.Norman. there is no reason he has to charge so much except that he thinks money will allow them to 'file' the few tests. I do not understand this part....if I read it correctly the site says don't waste your time doing 'all' of those tests..because they will all be done again when you get there. So, what is he filing for that amount of money. I am also looking for a Parathyroid surgeon in Houston,Texas....finding one is almost impossible. I wish you luck
Doctors pledge to "first do no harm"....I think he is doing Harm.. I even called the office of Norman asking if they could tell me about a doctor in Houston who did this surgery. They were very ugly to me on the phone and simply said there was not anyone in Houston.

wrong 15 mins if you got a great surgeon

I'm having the surgery. Dr Suliburk. Baylor. Houston TX

Yes. Looking for a Parathyroid Surgeon who does minimally invasive procedure In Houston TX. HELP!!!

I'm about to have surgery at Baylor in Houston as well. Dr Raymon Grogan

Have you had it? How was your experience?

Another great option in Houston - Dr Feibi Zheng at Methodist. I was really fearful going in but had a great experience and was pleasantly surprised at the short recovery time. For parathyroid surgery, I would advise that you look for an endocrine surgeon that has been fellowship trained. These type of surgeons typically have much more experience in thyroid and parathyroid surgeries than Otolaryngologists (ENT). Whoever you go with, do your research and ask lots of questions. Good luck!