My endocrinologist has told me that I need a parathyroidectomy, but does not know a really good surgeon to refer me to. My daughter lives in the Dallas, Texas area and I would like to go there. I have read all of Dr. Norman's (Tampa) website and think that is the way I want to go, but really need to have it done in Texas.

If you have any knowledge of a Texas surgeon doing the MIRP, please let me know. Thanks!

I have a list of physicians from the Paget Foundation and it includes

Fiemu Nwariake Dallas 214-648-6404

Shelby Burkey Dallas 214-648-3977

Leonard Edwin Dodson Amarillo 806-358-0200

It is a list of physicians who have expressed an interest in treating primary hyperparathyroidism. You'll have to check them out, but it's a place to start. Dr Nwariake is the only surgeon, I believe.

Have you done a search of the SteadyHealth site? I know there is an older message from a surgeon in Tucson.

Good luck - I don't think that Dr. Norman ever recommends anyone else so you just have to search yourself.

Dr. Shelby Burkey is the greatest! I had a parathyroidectomy in 2006. She preformed a very difficult surgery with very little scar and my health is now perfect.

Dr. Shelby Holt is another great recommendation (UTSW).

I live in San Antonio, TX and have also been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism and the endocrinologist also recommended parathyroid surgery, I am 31 and don't have any symptoms (my primary doctor found a high calcium in a regular blood work). My scans show all four parathyroids are of similar size so the doctor said the surgeon might remove one or more parathyroids (if it's hyperplasia). He referred me to a local ENT surgeon and also said a few of his patients had chosen to see Dr. Norman. I have done extensive research online. Now I seem to have the following choices:

1. Dr. Larian in LA. He seems to be highly regarded with his skills and attitude towards to patients. But the down side is I have to fly to LA.

2. Dr. Yeh in UCLA hospital. Similar to Dr. Larian.

3. Dr. Shelby Holt or Dr. Fiemu Nwariaku at Dallas UT SW medical center. Not sure if they do mini surgery though.

4. Dr. Alexandra Dresel in Dallas.

5. The Texas Institute for Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery.Seems to be an affiliated team with TAMU. Can do mini surgery . cannot find anything online about their expertise.

6. My local ENT surgeon

7. Surgeons in MD Anderson.

Can you guys give some opinions? Thanks.

Dr Larian is worth a trip to LA. I suggest that you at least talk with him before you make a decision. He is very good at returning calls and is very helpful even if you decide to go someplace else.

Did you find a Texas surgeon that does the MIRP? I have a tumor on one of my parathyroid glands and am looking for someone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Thanks!

FB parathyroid disease posters recommend Dr. Malouf as an experienced Endo in biochemically diagnosing, PHPT and Dr. Shelby Holt (UTSW), who is highly trained in PT surgery.

Please try not to let any particular website lead you to believe that a MIP w/intraoperative PTH testing is not a satisfactory route to go. It is, with a caveat. Many surgeons are satisfied with a >50% drop in PTH at the 10 to 15 min. point, but the success rate for surgical "cure" is much higher when PTH is tested at 30 min and there is >80% drop in PTH. (A number of Endo surgeons do utilize the probe as an adjunct also) Good luck in your search.

Sorry TexasLady, I too live in Dallas, Texas and didn't bother searching for a parathyroid surgeon in this area. You need the best and they are in Tampa.... I just had my tumor removed by Dr. Lopez & Dr. Toro at the Norman Parathyroid Center in Tampa (you don't need Dr. Norman - they are all great!) 7 days ago and so glad I could afford that option. This is a very delicate surgery and I didn't want to take a chance on a physician in the area that does maybe 50 or less parathyroid surgeries per YEAR (if that many) and suffer the consequences when I could travel to the experts who perform 200+ per WEEK. Gone are the days that the best physician is in you backyard. I also have many other hormonal-related illnesses due to a traumatic fall in which I hit my head in 1990 and travel to Los Angeles for my endocrinologist - who is an expert in rare diseases, such as adult growth hormone deficiency (AGHD) and Cushings disease. I wasted 20 years in Dallas looking for an endo to help me and within one hour with my endo in LA I was pre-diagnosed with AGHD and secondary Cushings, confirmed within two weeks by testing, and treatment was begun. Twenty years of my precious life was lost to diseases that could have been treated if I had had the right physician...... My parathyroidectomy could not have gone more perfect. I have seen immediate improvement in bone pain (gone), insomnia, anxiety, energy, and no longer feel down right "bitchy!" I did have more pain immediately post-op than expected and was not happy that they will not give you a narcotic, but I had brought my own with me and took some when I reached my hotel. I stayed in Tampa 5 days to rest up and went to the beach a couple of times the last two days and then flew home with my husband (you must have a surgical "buddy" with you). I'm home now, throat is still very swollen and I look like I have an Adam's apple, which is all normal and will go away within weeks to months. But, most importantly, I have not had the low calcium "crash." The calcium regimen establshed by the Norman Parathyroid Center - taking Citracal Maximum + D3 - has worked perfect. I had a slight bit of tingling in hands/feet initially, but taking one or two more calcium tablets took care of it right away. Even thought the NPC says you can fly the day after surgery, I could not have done that. However, I could have flow two days after surgery. We just took the opportunity to stay a few extra days and enjoy ourselves as much as possible. My only concern....... since surgery I've gained 10 lbs. I'm hoping this is just fluid and weight will stabilize with time. Best of health to you & I hope I have helped you to make this important life decision. DJG

Hello DeeJayGee. My name is Nina. I have been sick for the past 2 years and who knows how long I've had this prior to my diagnosis and am in need of surgery. I was just wondering if you are still dong well or have you had any problems since you surgery? I have read so much on this subject and am so scared to get this surgery done. I too would want someone who knows what they are doing.

So, it sounds like you're saying that if the procedure is not monitored throughout the surgery without this probe, that the surgery may not be 100% successful? That they could miss getting all of the affected tumor(s)?

Thank you for your review. I am also thinking about going to NPC. They paid a 4 million Medicare fraud settlement in July 2017 that really bothers me though. It makes me question their legitimacy. I was thinking about going my myself, but you recommend having a buddy come along which I will consider. And I agree it is a good idea to bring a stronger pain medication just in case.