Hey people,

I perforated my right ear drum 2 years ago, and it did not heal back. I will need to go to interstate on a plane and am worried about the cabin pressure might affect my ear drum. I've read a few sites advising that flying with a perforated ear drum will be much better due to no pressure in the eustachian tubes because it will pass through the perforated hole...
What I was thinking is that my left ear drum is still intack, will pressure go to this ear and cause any type of pain? or the pressure will be balanced out and go through my right ear perforated hole. I am quite nervous as I don't want to lose my hearing or cause a perforation my left ear and don't want to take any chance at all.

Please help.

Thanks...

I've never had a perforated ear drum, but I have flown with a very bad ear infection before which can be quite painful. I bought some special ear plugs designed to assist with equalisation (I bought them at a pharmacy), and also made sure I had a lot of chewing gum and lollies to help me keep my ears unblocked. Good luck!