I am 21 years old and since the beginning of april i began a different cycle. the first week of april i got my period, then again on the third week, then again on the first week in may and now again the third week in may. it is very light and does not come with cramp well except for the one that came on the third week of april, that came like a regular period flow. I haven't been sexually active since last december and began again two days before my period that came on the third week of may. i had irregular period before but in terms of not having it for a month or two but now it's coming too frequent. I would like to have some ideas of what may be the cause of this. i do plan on going to see my doctor but i want to have an idea first before i go see the doctor. Thank You.

It is likely that you have some sort of hormonal disorder or maybe even some cysts on your ovaries developed. These cysts tend to cause breakthrough bleedings but I am not sure that they would induce a whole period.

What you should tell your doctor is exactly what you wrote here. Explain everything about the previous menstrual irregularities, the current ones, as well as your sexual habits (if s/he asks).

A gyn can (usually) easily find what the matter is. S/he may decide to run a blood test and check for the sexual hormones as well as the hormones made by thyroid gland, because thyroid gland disorder often interfere with periods.

So, nothing can be said with certainty until you have a physical by your doc, possibly ultrasound and a blood test.

Im 17 and I have just recently started having irregular frequent periods as well. I read the post about the girl with the every other week periods, and how she could possibly have a cyst. And I guess Im wondering if i could possibly have one too. I have also had my period every other week, but my periods are not light, they are heavy and I do have a lot of cramping, I get to the point were I think im going to vomit. I asked my mom about it, but she just thinks im a hypochondriac.. However you spell that. From reading the other girls post Im guessing i should see a doctor too, but is there something that i should be expecting him/her to tell me?

hey i am 16 years old. I have also been goin through the same thing as you are. im not sure what it is ive been wanting to go see a doctor but am scared that my parents may find out that i am sexual active. which i dont know if this may be the cause of why i am experiencing this.

I'm turning fifteen in a couple days and I'm also getting my period every other week. It comes with cramps and it is pretty heavy. I'm not sexually active, and I'm thinking about telling my mom. Could it possibly be a cyst in my case as well?

Actually, I've been complaining about something like this for a very long time. I just turned 17, I'm still a virgin, and I've had my period since the beginning of 5th grade [about 10 yrs of age]. For the past 1 and a 1/2 years now, I've been experiencing the same. I have my period every other week, 6-7 days between each period and my period can last up to 8 days. I get horrible cramps! Back cramps, migrains, nasea, pain going down my legs, up my spine. The cramps get so bad it had made me collapse more than once. I have a high tolerance of pain, but lately it has gotten to the point where I cannot stand it, and pain relievers don't help me. I've gotten ibuprofen, naproxen, so on so fourth, but the most it will do is lessen the pain by only a fraction.

Well I told my doctor about this, he just said it's irregular, and it'll regulate itself on it's own. Then I told him how long I've had my period and how long this has been happening. He asked if I was sexually active, and I said no. Thing is, being a virgin, I didn't want what he suggested. He suggested I get a pap smear to see what it is, otherwise, he will just base is on the fact that it's irregular. Because I refused the pap smear, he perscribed me to birth control, to regulate my period and to give less cramps.

Should I get a pap smear? I'm no longer on the pill and it seems to have gotten worse. I'm now wondering if I have ovarian cancer, since it runs in my family.

Ive had my period every other week for the past 6 months. I have tried over 7 types of Birthday Control, and non of them has been able to bring me back to once a month. I've tried both the strongest BC my doctors office carries, and i also broke my pack that was supposedly supposed to 'do the trick' since its so strong. It is the most frustrating thing I've experienced. And i just want them to stop coming so often!

To the person before me, i say yes you should get a pap smear. It ISN'T as bad as you think it is. Ive gotten 4 in the past couple months because for some reason they think they'll find something they didn't find the last time. Crazy, i know.
My mom had a cyst that she had removed, and she told me it was very common in her side of the family for girls to get them. Im not sure if its genetic that you get them, but that's what I'm getting checked for in a few days.

To the other girl, i would say go ahead and tell your parents your sexually active. TRUST ME, they'd rather know that your active, and be able to help you NOT be pregnant THAN to find out your Actually pregnant and they had no idea. I told my aunt, and i was nervous at first but its a good feeling to know that their there for you.

Doctors will first give you Birth Control, because they assume its just hormonal problems.
I say try a few of the ones they give you. If it doesn't help after a few months then ask about what else it could be.
Sadly, there isn't an exact answer to this since every girl is different.

i have had an ovarian cyst. it was weird, once a month i'd get this unbearable pain in my lower back, it felt like it was right on my spine, & my uterus (or whatever! lol) was in a lot of pain too. it would happen around the time i got my period. i'd be throwing up all day, couldn't get up at all. by the time my parents finally took me to the doctor (which was after about 4-5 months of this) they couldn't figure out what it was, so they schduled me for an ultrasound & a CAT scan. by then, it had bursted. soooo, my advice to you.. GO TO THE DR!!! you don't want to have to suffer through that, girl! >_

I'm about to turn 21 and for the past month I've beeb having my period like every other week I'm still a virgin but I'd sometimes masterbate like once a month

Hi Everybody I'm 19 And My Period Is Getting On My Nerves Because It Comes A Week And Stays Gone For Like A Week In A Half Then Comes Back And I Don't Know Whats Wrong. I Dn't Know What To. I Don't Have Any Cramps Or Anything It Just Cmes For Five Days And Leave. One Of My Friends Told Me That It Means My Body Is Fertile I Don't Know How True That Is But Yea... Help!

had the same instance a few years back... come to find out, i had a fibroid on the outside of my uterus. the Dr did a uterine biopsy and an internal vaginal ultrasound.

why are you worried about getting a pap? it wont affect your virginity. the only way you can find out out if there is anything wrong internally is to get one. They scrap the cervical cells to run tests..

The same thing has been happening to me and I am 17 too! I took a depo provera shot last August and instead of making my period light or not even come, it was very irregular, very light though, but the color was not red or pink. It was darker. And for about 5 weeks it would come every day, sometimes all day and sometimes only in the morning or only in the evening. And once it wore off completely in about december, I was having my period every other week, with cramps, for about 7-8 days, which is very unusual for me. Mine last 4-5 days, no cramps, regular, and almost the same day every month. And I'mvery worried that I'm letting an egg go each time... Which really bothers me. Because I know the depo shot can cause trouble with being able to have kids. Not as high of a risk as the pills but its still there. I'm going to see a doctor soon but I was wondering if y'all could share your opinions with me please.

You should get the papsmear. I got a papsmear when I was a virgin. They're uncomfortable no matter what. It's best if the gyno can check to see what's going on and that way you can be sure it's nothing major. They should do a blood test. And if he wrote you off initially -saying it's irregular without asking questions about how long it's been happening, etc. You need a different doctor that listens and doesn't disregard your concerns.

Hi girls. I'm 22 and I have had a cycle every other week like clockwork ever since i got on birth control. (over 2yrs. now) I've been to the doctor and they did an ultrasound and they told me I had an ovarian cyst. I asked about having it removed and they told me "not to worry. they go away on their own." Is this true?? How will I know it's gone if i still bleed every other week??