I'm 24 years old... I get my period every 3-4 months, NOT every month like most woman. When it does come.. it stays for about 2-3 weeks.. (quite heavily). In the past I've seen my doctor, she assured me that it's normal... but I can't help but worry about it.. I plan to have kids in the near future.... and am afraid I might not be able to have any?? Is there anybody out there w/ this same menstrual cycle??

Hi MissVanGirl,

I just wanted to say I have the same problem as you. I get my period every 3 months or so - My periods have always been very irregular (apart from when I was on the pill- which I came off almost a year a go). I went to see the doctor who sent me for an ultra sound to check for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (POS)- but the results showed that everything was normal. Since then doctors have told me that it's a mystery and thats just the way it is for me. Which is fine until you decide to try for a baby - which my husband and I have just started to do. I am concerned that it is going to be harder for me to get pregnant - but I guess I shouldn't worry about it until we've tried. If I am still not pregnant after 6-9 months after trying then I will start to worry up till then the only thing to do is relax and see how it goes.

I think you should go and get yourself checked for POS - If this is the reason for your irregular periods then doctors can help you sort it out (with tablets - I think) if not then just carry on as normal.

Sorry I can't be anymore help -

i also have the same problem with not having a period every month sometimes i wont have a period any time up to 9months also myself and my partner have being trying for a baby for 4yrs you shoul ask your doctor to ref to the hospital you will be asked to go to the hospital when you come on your period i went mid last year and still have not come on but i have to worn you that they cant do alot of the test till your actually on
i hope this has helped and good look.

i wanted to say that i have the same problem and i am 18 years old and my period comes on every 3 months i get curious and nervous because i am sexually active with this person and i get scared when we dont use condoms and i think that im pregnant after we have sex... i went to the doctor they just put me on birth control but that didnt help at all so i took myself off it.. and so its complicated

i have my period every three months and i got pregnant in less then a year..its all about timing..OV WATCH HELPS

I used to have my period every 4 months and when it did come I only had a light to medium flow for 2 days! I also had concerns in which my doctor told me not to worry but I did, I tried for 3 years and was unsuccessful. When I finally went on birth control I continued to have unprotected sex before it took effect thinking "hey why not". After about a month or so I went off the birth control because it was too hard on my body. Well it turned out I got pregnant during the first couple of weeks on the birth control and I went on to have a very happy and healthy boy.

Here is where it got interesting after I had my son we wanted to try right away for another because it took us so long to conceive our first, pls note I was breastfeeding. My period than came once every 5 months for 3-4 days a little heavier flow. I stopped breastfeeding at when my son was about 10 1/2 to 11 months about a week before my period well I got pregnant about 2 weeks after that!

Now I have a period which comes every 6 weeks and lasts between 3-5 days. I now it's frustrating but when it's time to conceive your body is capable of it, I didn't use ovulation kits or anything, if you monitor your body closing conceiving shouldn't be an issue. I hope this has helped you and if you have any more questions I would be more than happy to help :-)

I am having the same problem, Im 19, my periods where every other month then moved to every 3 monts and now they are even further apart. I dont have the money to go to the doctor or anything so it really worries me. I'm the same as you i want kids in the future and im worried that this could effect that. I dont really have an answer for you but if you find anything out more about this please let me know.
I have looked it up on the internet and alot of girls seem to have this problem and everyone says the doctor says its normal, so I'm guessing it cant be so horrible. I kind of wonder if i get on birth control if that will regulate it, I dont know if you are on any or not but if your not thats what I've been thinking about doing to try to help it.

I get the same thing. After three to four months ,my period would come and it would usually be heavy and would last for two weeks. Apparently its normal, according to my doctor.

I have the same issue, when i was around 13; i went to my doctor and they told me that if i haven't had my cycle in the next year to bring me back for an extensive check up. I started some months later, from then until the present my menstrual comes whenever it wants, I barely keep track. Mainly every 3 month. What bothers me is that i still get some symptoms in between months. Like mood swing, sensitive breast, bloating, and acne. I use to get cramps but now i get nausea. One doctor told me that it way normal for my menstrual to come every 3 months as long as its regular. He said getting your cycle is normal every month because the mass majority of women get menstrual in that order (every month). Another doctor say because i was a sprint runner it made my body like that, because i was a runner before 13. I'm still wondering if both doctors are right because there's so much pressure and many symptoms before i'm on my menstrual it bothers me sometimes. I get relieved when it comes!

hey i am 22 and have had the same issue since i first got my period. like everyone else my doctor also told me it was normal. i went on birth control so i could atleast know when i am getting it. i recently went off birthcontrol and havent gotten a period since (its only been about 2 or 3 months) so for regulating purposes birth control can help. as for getting pregnant i am unsure i think it all depends on what exactly is causing the irregularity. when it comes time to start trying id give it 6months to 9 months of trying and then talk to your doctor about it. lots of times i find being young and having these issues the doctors like to put on a back burner until age wise it gets closer to our natural clocks ticking. i could be very wrong but my doctor gives me that vibe sometimes. anyways hope this helps and good luck

I have the same problem, im 16 and I just keep worrying that theres something wrong with me. but I guess its normal, and i want kids but i have a while to figure everything out.

so thanks!

I have the same issue. Most of the time I only have my period every three months. But sometimes It Cycles just fine for like 6 months then starts skipping 3 months at a time. Then I have a period for 3 or 4 weeks. To add to this I also have erythema nodosum which can be brought on by hormonal issues. My period has been this way since I started at like at 12 and now I am 24. I have been to the doctor for The Erythema Nodosum -EN, and also told them all my other issues and they make it sound like its normal. It is so irritating. Plus I can't go on birth control because of the EN. It causes it to stay year round. I was on birth control for about a year and a half but it still didn't make my period completely right. I did have an external ultrasound 5 years ago and nothing was found. They wanted to do a pelvic ultra sound but I didn't have it done do to issuance issues. But it is totally annoying because I am tired of this and the doctors seem not to care now. What does that leave a person to do. Now I don't have insurance at all so. I have to pay out pocket when I go in and it costs alot. But I normally don't go till I am in so much pain from the EN that I am looking for some relief. I don't even work anymore because every time I get a job and have a new outbreak of the EN I have to miss work. Most of the time it gets so bad the Dr. puts me on bed rest till the swelling goes down some. Then I end up having to quit because I am missing so much work. The EN stays from any where from 3 months to 6 months at a time. Depending when I have my period. If I have a period month to month I don't get the EN. But If I don't have my period I start getting them. This period I was about a month late when I started. Which is totally uncharacteristic. I have been on my period for 2 weeks now. I am just out of Ideas... I would also like to have kids i the next few years. Not sure how thats going to work... Kinda worried that it won't or that I will have EN the whole time. I am so frustrated...
Chasity

PS. I have a website if you ever want to talk about this problem. Sometimes I even update my own issues there.

iam 17 years old. there is about 2-3 months gap for me.once it occurs it occurs for 7-9 days and then only after 2 or 3 months? i do not have undergone sexual activities. is this any big problem? tell me. iam worried. :-(

I am 27 years old, and have the same problem. I get my period every 3 months. I was on Depo Provera when i was 15 until I was 18...my body has been messed up ever since then. I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Sydrome, as a result of not getting my periods caused by the Depo. I am not trying to get pregnant and have had no luck for the past year. The doctor will be putting me on Clomid shortly. Weight and stress have a lot to do with periods as well. I was overweight (another side effect from the Depo). I lost over 100 lbs and am still having no luck getting pregnant, but I am at least getting my period every 3 months now, opposed to not getting it at all when I was heavier. My doctor says that its Ok to not get it monthly, and the often issue Provera to bring on your period on the third month. This seems to be my battle. Hope this little bit of info helps.

Im 24 and i used to get my period every 3 months but lately its been getting worse my last perion was in sep 09 and i didnt get it until feb 2010 around the same week ...and when it comes it last for about 1 week max 2 weeks and its a bit heavy ....i went to the doctor and she was surprised when i told her she asked if i was sure i wasnt pregnet she tested me and just put me on the pill and told me that would help regulate it but it didnt ...nothing changed and i didnt like how i felt on the pill....so i stopped taking it.I also worry that it will be very hard to have a baby when im finally ready ....and i cant help but worry...it seems like a lot of docs think its normal....so that makes me fill a bit better