? i had an abortion on 2/4/06, and after the abortion i am having irregular period sometimes 30 to 40 days in between. Does having an abortion can affect my cyclesi am now on my 36 day and still nothing i had unprocted sex last month but i testedto see if i was pregnant 2 days ago and it was neg.Does anyone knows wahts going on with me.[/list]

I too am really concerned about my periods and fertility... It is comforting to know others are perhaps in similar situations...

My periods have never returned to normal they only last three days which has only really one day of bleeding which is dark brown in colour and sometimes contains clots the other two are just light brown discharge.

They also seem to be every 6 weeks instead of 4.. I have been to the doc a few times quite stressed out but they seem to think it is normal can anyone shed some light on this?

It would be so appreciated for all of us who are going through similar symptoms and are quite concerned...

Thanks Eclair :-)

Eclair wrote:

OMG I AM EXPERIENCING THE EXACT SAME THING!! I HAVENT BEEN TO THE DOCTOR BECAUSE IM TOO SCARED, YET I LIVE WITH SO MUCH ANXIETY BECAUSE OF IT... ITS BEEN WELL OVER A YEAR SINCE... AND I GET MY PERIODS EVERY 6 WEEKS, AND IT'S MOSTLY BROWN WITH ONE OR TWO DAYS OF REGULAR BLOOD. I AM SO WORRIED AND SCARED AND HAVE LOST ALL HOPE IN LIFE.

I had an abortion in november 2007. My periods are just getting to normal. about every 31 days. It is very normal to have abnormal periods after an abortion...so Ive been told and it could in fact never be normal. The only times that I have been late were times when I was under A LOT of stress so maybe its your stress level...HOPE THIS HELPS! :-)

I had irregular periods after my abortion. They were brown (old blood)
and long, and I felt bloated. I stopped ovulating.

I went on Yaz (birth control) for about 10 months and it brought my period back to normal. I have been off of it for 5 months with normal periods.

I would suggest going on birth control for several months to expose your body to progesterone. that is what my body was missing.

The progesterone after an abortion drops by 50% in the body and that can lead to irregular menses, and set up for fibroids, PCOS and other problems.

Try a trial of Yaz for a coupple months or Orto tri cyclen lo, or mircette, or the Nuva RING , those are the top BCPs ive tried.

When your pregnant your body expects to have all this progesterone and when you have an abortion its cut, off, its almost like you need to supplemnt, or trick your body into thinking your pregnant, this will also cut any risk of cancers later on...

(my opinion im not a doctor)

I am having similar problems. I had an abortion on november 28, 2008. I got my first period in january of 09, then I missed my period in february. I then had a perion in march and april and now it is may 15 and I still haven't had my period I should have started a week ago. I have had unprotected sex btw, but I have none of the symptoms I had before the abortion.. Could I be pregnant or still getting used to my menstrual cycle?

i had been going throught the same exact thing for a while and i do believe that it all depends how your body reacts to a change it has been 5 months since my abortion and my period is just now starting to get back into a reguolar cycle. Although it did change from the timing it is almost back to normal. I would sugesst taking birth control to get all you hormone levels back to normal. ALSO DO NOT STRESS OUT AS THAT CAN ALSO CAUSE INREGULAR PERIODS. things most likely will get better but there is always the chance that things may neber go back to "normal".

I think that there has been a lot of helpful advice posted on this thread and hopefully it puts your mind at ease somewhat. Yes, after an abortion, it is possible for you to have irregular periods for awhile. I think the important thing to realize is that it should normalize after your body's hormones do. In the meantime, birth control will help quite a bit with that. Also, please bear in mind that you can always consult a doctor so that s/he can help with the issue in case it turns out it's something more serious. Has anyone had experience with this?

hi, i had an abortion 3 months ago, i also had the implanon added during the termination but i havnt stopped bleeding since, iv been to the doctors twice but he just keeps telling me that my, cramps, bad smell, itchyness and constant bleeding is normal, im only 16 and i am really scared and dont know what to do, i regret doing what i did every day, will this ever go away...please let me know.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not doing so well but it's probably because of the abortion. I think I would talk to your doctor to hear if the implantation is causing the cramps and bad smell because I know that it can cause a problem along those lines. Do you think you could talk to him about it? I'm sure you're frustrated with him but it might be a good idea. Keep me posted!

It's comforting to know am not the only one. I had an abortion in May, and since my periods have been for 2 days. And on those 2 days, they are very heavy, and i have bad cramps. They are dark red in colour, i dont go through the brown colour. Am too scared to see the Doctor. Are you saying it's normal? Recently, i've even been feeling like throwing up.

It is realllly comforting knowing theres people out there going through the same things iam. But see i had an abortion march 11/09 and everything went fine and within the next month i got a normal period Just at the beginning of the month, when before it would be on the 10th. So every month up until July i was getting it at the very beginning of the month, then July I never got it for some reason, i was told that abortions can cause a missed period somewhere along the line, but i was'nt sure if that was just right after you get the abortion done, not after a few months of having a normal period. Eventually near the end of July around the 27th i got a blood flow for about a minute and got really excited to know my period came. Then later that night when i went to the bathroom again i no longer had red blood and there was no flow at all just brown blood and only when i wiped, it lasted for about 4 days. So i blew it off and thought maybe i just missed it and it decided to come way later and it was the old blood from it. But now im seriously wondering if something is wrong because this month sometimes my nipples get tender and hard like when i was pregnant, but not as intense and it goes away within a couple minutes. I did have unprotected sex but i got pregnancy test and it was a negative result. So could it be possible my body is still confused and thinks its pregnant because of the missed period and breast tenderness? Im seriously too scared to go to a doctor about it. After the abortion i didnt want to have anythign to do with the situation and move on & not think about it again and for the first couple months i felt fine so i didnt feel the need to get a check up. Can somone helpp please & thank u.

My guess is that your body is still in a state of flux so you are probably still dealing with that. Have you had any unsafe sex or anything that would lead to getting another pregnancy?

yes i did have unprotected sex awhile ago, and my first assumption was pregnancy, but i took a test and it came out negative & i havn't gotten any other kind of symptom of pregnancy judging from when i did get pregnant that is. My symptoms were pretty intense when i was and i would know by the 6th week if i was pregnant because i definatly couldnt be int he same room as food without puking which went on till about the 8th week. Not to mention my nipples would get so tender and so hard it would hurt so badly i would have to take hot showers all the time just to get rid of the intense harndness. But the tenderness i have now just comes and goes every couple days and it just hurts to touch but goes away.

yeah, that is a little unusual but you seem that you should be okay. I'd take a pregnancy test just to be sure though! And also, please please please be more careful and make sure that you're always on birth control and using a condom! It's best to try to avoid further complications so you don't have a doubt in your mind in the future, okay? I don't mean to sound judgmental because I know we all make mistakes. Just be more careful, okay?