Now I know I'm not crazy, what do we do about it????

after I delivered my last child 8 years ago I had stroke & sezuries the dr's never could figure out why. I was on blood thinner for years after I stop them I started to develop these symtoms that arrive about a week befor my period and last 3 days. I started started doing some research and wondered if I had a sinus thrombosiss. I wish someone had an answer, but at least now I now I am not crazy and I'm not alone.

After thinking I was all alone on this one, I suffer really badly as well, and have to on occasions take days off work.
-The only relief I have found is really watching what you eat, Yoga, and diet
-supplements, primrose oil, star flower,B6, Calcium, magnesium
-Using antibiotics once your attack starts together with decongestants,
-Syndol tablets provide great relief, but can make you really drowsy.

When im in good shape, I find I can eliminate all the symptoms apart from a bit of bloating, so im gonna move right back to a healthy life style.

Ps. Despite all of that, I love being a woman... please don't give up! xxx

I too have been consistently suffering with sinus problems around menstrual cycle time. After reading this info. I at least know I'm not the only one. ...What do we do about it? I eat great, exercise regularly, try and keep stress to a minimum...so why do I feel so sick every month?

Best wishes to everyone!
CS

I TOO, have been suffering with sinus problems/infections..headaches, sore throat just before or during my period.....having one right now...it's lasted for 7 days...the longest I can remember......horrible.

It has taken me a long time (years) to connect the two..but the most work I have ever missed over the last 10 years has been due to a "sinus infection".............and the more I looked back...I was usually on my period........with an INSANE SWEET TOOTH....I used to laugh at myself because for someone being so sick.......I sure wanted everything in the store when I went to pick up my anti-biotics...usually a coke and CHOCOLATE galore......

My GP last week said she THINKS it MIGHT be related to my GERD & Acid Reflux........and that during our period when the hormones are changing it allows more acid into the esophogus at night when we are sleeping...affecting the sinuses........i have had a history of heartburn and stomach problems....so we'll see IF this is the reason...she put me on 40mg of Prilosec am and pm....I am going to try to eliminate my caffeine intake (coffee)...I haven't had ANY this past week bc I've been so sick.

Will keep everyone posted. I do feel that it's either related to stomach acid getting into the sinuses, or hormones..or maybe both..........it's just VERY FRUSTRATING.........I am at my wits end......bc it happens almost every month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just don't know how much longer I can deal with it....

:-(

WOW...I can't believe others have the same headache problems I do. I get the hunger feeling that can't be fulfilled, neck pain, pressure behind one eye or the other. Horrible sinus-like pressure. It's killing me because i feel like I'm wasting my life. Luckily mine usually only last 24 hrs and sometimes 48 hrs. I get them first day of my period and sometimes mid-cycle, ovulation time. It's got to be hormonal!! I've got a 4 yr old and a husband that I'd rather be spending my time with!! With this many people with same problems there has to be an answer and fix. It's got to be hormonal....what else could it be? Answers....please!!!

Hi all,

I have suffered from 2-3 day migraines all my life, they are connected to my period and also to weather changes and after 15 years of pain I finally found a pill which works: zomig (it's a triptan) - I think every migraineur should look into this. It changed my life - before I was taking up to 10 anti-inflammatory medication a day to no avail, medicines agains nause, etc. Now with this pill, I take one and in a couple of hours the pain is gone (only once it did not work in the last year - not to mention that it seems the frequency of the attacks decreased). The downside is that I feel quite weird psichologically after I take it - depression, excitability, king of like being on the verge, but I prefer this to the excruciating pain I used to experience before. About sinus headaches - I have big problems with my sinuses, too, they do get worse around my period, or after running, etc. When they turn into a headache/migraine the triptan works. But anyway I am trying to find a cure for that as the triptan obviously treats just the symptoms / I think I have a sinus infection (hopefully I would get rid of it someday).
Cristina

I cannot tell you what a tremendous relief it was to find all of these posts! I, too, was convinced that I was the only one suffering from these debilitating sinus headaches at the onset of my menstrual cycle each month. I have had MRI's taken, have seen acupuncturists, naturopathic/holistic doctors, herbalists, ENT's, gynecologists...you name it! Nobody has been able to help me to: a) understand it or b) resolve it. It's such a tragedy that we feel we are wasting away a good chunk of our lives in bed, feeling miserable. Trust me, I've shed one too many tears feeling this way for the past 20+ years. Besides that, it's embarrassing to constantly miss work & it's heartbreaking to miss out on quality time with family & friends. I'm to the point now where I have to schedule EVERYTHING (including my upcoming wedding & honeymoon) around that dreaded time of the month. After finding these posts & finally realizing that what I'm feeling is REAL & obviously prevalent, I've done some further research & found the following information. I hope it is helpful to all my fellow sufferers! Sincerely, Laurie

"Sinus headaches may be more pronounced during the days leading up to the menstrual cycle, due to changes in hormone levels and their impact on sinus mucosa and fluid retention. These headaches have their focus of pain in the paranasal sinuses which become sensitive to direct digital pressure, and also by the indirect pressure of putting the head down between the knees. In addition to the usual methods of treating sinus headaches (analgesics, decongestants, antihistamines, antibiotics, as appropriate), cyclic symptoms can often be controlled by BCP suppression of ovulation." (brooksidepress.org/Products/Military_OBGYN/Textbook/MenstrualProblems/Menses.htm)

:-D I have been suffering the same thing for 15years, i have tried oesteopaths / acupuncture / neurologists / scans / diet change /dentists. I am totally relieved that im not suffering alone with this pain.
I.ve felt so guilty when i have to go to bed, my pain lasts between 24 - 48hours some attacks are worse than others, so now ive got to find out what makes the symptons less severe.

I am going to get calcium / magnesium . b6 / primrose oil to start as i have other pms problems not just sinus and headaches.

One thing i have learnt is to keep calm and keep stress to a minimum, im also seeing a CRANIAL OSTEOPATH who is working on my blocked sinuses, she manipulates the nerves and muscles with tiny movements in my neck (sinus pathways are in the face/neck/front and rear of ears) and i will post info if this makes dramitic difference.

Its good too know I’m not alone, but it’s also very sad to hear that so many women have the same problem. I truly believe that my PMS headaches, which I get before, during & after my period, are caused by hormone levels changing due to my monthly period.
I have tried evening primrose and it worked for years to relieve many of my symptoms, but did not last. Just a word of warning, some over the counter headache medication, if taken too often will actually cause headaches. Which I found out the hard way!
So I’ve tried to limit the pills and I am now getting some relief from Tiger Balm, which is a topical ointment. It’s not a cure but does relieve some of my sinus pressure & pain.

Good luck,

I also have terrible sinus symptoms related to my periods, although the worst time for me is mid-cycle. I feel the stuffy nose start about a week before my period and I start to take over the counter decongestants (with no added pain meds) to keep the pressure from building up too much. If I get on it at the first sign of symptoms, I can usually keep it from getting too bad during my period.

But after my period, usually day 10 of my cycle, there doesn't seem to be anything that works. It's usually concentrated in the right side of my brain, face, and my right eye, and I just have to try to survive it every month. I've hoarded pain meds for years from every legitimate injury or illness I've had, just for use during this time. Sprained ankle? Suffer through the pain so I can keep the vicodin for my sinuses. Root canal? Walk it off. I need the pain meds for my sinuses.

One of the things that shocks me is that I've been to doctors about this - ENT, gyn, endo - and they all dismiss the connection between hormones and sinus issues and tell me they're unrelated. They imply that I'm either a hypochondriac or it's purely coincidental that my sinus problems occur at the same time every month. What year is this anyway? What century?

Wow, I could not believe there are others out there that experience the same symptoms as I do. I am currently sick with a cold that is rapidly turning into a sinus infection. This happens every month, about a week and a half before I start my period. I always begin with a sore throat. Then the congestion, stuff/runny nose, chills and a slight fever. I have been like this for years and the doctors disregard it. One thing I should mention is that I have autoimmune disease (Lupus) which is aggravated by hormones. Although I take medication for the Lupus, no one has ever tested my hormone levels to determine what I may be lacking. I am not sure if there is any correlation between the autoimmune factor and my sinus problems. I know it has gotten worse as I have gotten older (I am 39) and I really cannot be down for over a week each month.

I guess I am not much help. I do appreciate you all that have written in about this. It is validating to know I am not the only one!!

Kim

Just like Kimba, I couldn't believe how many of us are suffering in the shadows of 'real life' every month. I am in the same situation: two days before my period starts, I start to feel vague, my head hurts and then all hell breaks loose: a sinus attack which paralyses me for 24 to 48h and leaves me catching my breath for another 48 houors after the worst pain is gone. :'( I have been going back and forth with my GP - we have changed my BCP many times over and being at the end of my tehter, I saw a specialist yesterday who treated me like a silly woman with little else to do than complain about her silly ailments. o.O In utter disbelief, I licked my wounds and am now more resolved than ever to find the path to relief. And it is a relief to find so many in the same situation: I am not imagining it! At least I've ruled out plain insanity. :-) I understand all of you who get upset and angry and depressed even at the fact of missing out on life by being confined to our beds and sofas for 2 to 3 days a month. It makes me feel very depressed as well and I just cannot accept that there is no relief or cure. I will definitely try out 'evening primrose' supplements and will keep you posted if I make any progress. All I can say is: do not give up!! I am lucky to be supported in my quest for a solution and not to feel alone. And now that I know that none of us are alone I can find strength in that as well.

md1967 wrote:

Could PMS headaches be related to sinus problems? I get horrible sinus headaches starting a week before my period and they always last right at 3 days. I have the typical pressure behind my eyes and sinuses and can also hear a "pressure release" sound when I lay down or when I get out of the shower. I even have the drainage in my throat, so it's like an infection - but why is it only the week before my period?

For the past 6 months I too get sinus infection like symptoms with the headache, drainage, and pressure! How is one related to the other?

I get the same thing here sinus headaches before my period and it seems like I have allergies. Sometimes I get them for a few days on and off sometimes for like an hour and they will go away. I'm glad I'm not alone.