Could PMS headaches be related to sinus problems? I get horrible sinus headaches starting a week before my period and they always last right at 3 days. I have the typical pressure behind my eyes and sinuses and can also hear a "pressure release" sound when I lay down or when I get out of the shower. I even have the drainage in my throat, so it's like an infection - but why is it only the week before my period?

I experience the same thing. Headaches, sinus pressure, drainage in throat as well as nausea right before my period. I will keep checking for a reply.

I also do have sinus problems when those days in a month are close. 

I usually have migraines before my period is about to start. Sometimes this pain is so huge that I feel some pressure on my head, my eyes...I just don't know where anymore.

I think that those are some of those PMS symptoms/ signs that we always feel when we are about to have our period.

At least, it is in my case. I really hate it because I feel so powerless when I am about to get it. My doctor says that there is nothing that I can do about it. 

I found this thread by researching if my very serious headache and sinus pain could be linked to my period. My doctor diagnosed me with dust allergies, but I noticed that the three times I suffered a bout of sinus migraine, it coincided with the week preceding my period.

I been trying to find answers as to why I get these wonder sinus migraines 1 - 2 weeks before my period. Mine can last anywhere from 3 days to 6 days. I don't get the drainage, but I do get neck pain along witht he pain under my eyes. The strange thing for me is that when I get these headaches, I always have hunger pains along with them. I always feel hungry, but can never eat enough to make it go away. I normally drink lots of water every day, so I know I'm not dehydrated. I wish someone qualified would answer our questions. I was leaning towards ordering PremCal, but don't want to do anything unless I know more. I should just given in and go to my doctor.

I too have noticed sinus symptoms and allergy problems prior to menstrual cycle. What causes this?

I found that taking Evening Primrose supplements relieved my PMS headaches. I take one tablet a day all month and it has completely gotten rid of my headaches. If I am not disciplined however, or start to think I don't need it anymore (like this month) it comes right back.

i too get headaches with my period, every month without fail. if i get a headache, it's always debilitating and the next day or two i start my period. i haven't seen a doctor about it, but have read into it. there is a website to check into. of course they tell you to go to your doctor to be diagnosed, but here it is for information:

MenstrualMigraine.org

this site believes there is a connection between the two. i thought for a long time that i was having sinus headaches, but after yesterday's headache, i believe they are migraines. i read somewhere that people who think they're having sinus headaches are actually having migraines.

hope this helps.

I too get this type of heaches behind my nose & eyes which makes me feel that it is a sinus head ache my nose feels really sensitive I find myself often thinking i"f could only take my nose off the pain would go away". I also feel my brain swell up usually at the left front part of my face and left temple. I also feel nausea. These symptoms are very often two-three days into my period. They usually last 48 hrs sometimes even 72 hours. I truly feel that it has become a handicap to my work. Does anyone know what could be causing this, how can I prevent it?

I thought I was crazy, but reading all these posts has made me feel like I'm not alone. I get sinus type headaches every time I get my period. I also get migraines and I also get hungry and can't make the feeling go away. I pray my headaches come on the weekend so I don't have to miss work, but then I feel like I'm missing out on life. I have two kids and sad to say, they know the routine. Has anyone been able to find other remedies that might help besides Evening Primrose. I didn't help me :-(

I have been scouring the internet today because I get these nasty nasty sinus infection-like processes the day before my period that last a day or two into my period and then magically go away. I have no idea why this is happening. I am 31 and I have always had normal regular periods with very little cramping up until a year ago and now I get these attacks like I have the head cold of the century! I was up all night miserable and am having such a hard time swallowing today or even thinking because I hurt so badly. I can't find any information though. Anyone got anything?

The exact cause of PMS, headaches and depression are unknown. In fact, it is not known why some women have severe symptoms, some have mild ones, while others have none. It is generally believed that PMS, migraine and depression stem from neurochemical changes within the brain. Hormonal factors, such as estrogen levels, had not been appreciated until recent studies.

The female hormone estrogen starts to rise after menstruation and peaks around mid-cycle (ovulation). It then rapidly drops only to slowly rise and then fall again in the time before menstruation. Estrogen hold fluid and with increasing estrogen comes fluid retention: many women report weight gains of five pounds premenstrually. Estrogen has a central neurologic effect: it can contribute to increase brain activity and even seizures. Estrogen can also contribute to retention of salt and a drop in blood sugar. PMS patients and migraineurs benefit from both salt and sugar restriction and a mild diuretic.

PMS and Migraine Diet
Depending on the patient’s individual symptoms and their severity, the doctor may recommend how one may take an active role in the management of PMS and premenstrual migraine by following these guidelines:

*Eat six small meals at regular three-hour intervals, high in complex carbohydrates and low in simple sugars. This helps to maintain a stead blood glucose level and avoid energy highs and lows.

*Substantially reduce and eliminate use of caffeine, alcohol, salt, fats, and simple sugars to reduce bloating, fatigue, tension and depression.

*Daily supplemental vitamins and minerals may be administered to relieve some PMS symptoms. A multivitamin with B6(100 mcg), B complex, magnesium (300mg), Vitamin E (400 IU) and vitamin C (1000 mg) may be recommended to alleviate irritability, fluid retention, joint aches, breast tenderness, anxiety, depression and fatigue. Be sure to check with your doctor before taking any medication for PMS.

*Exercise is helpful for PMS because it reduces stress and tension, acts as a mood elevator, provides a sense of well-being and improves blood circulation by increasing natural production of beta-endorphins. It is recommended, if your physician so advises, to exercise at least three times weekly for 20-30 minutes. Aerobics, walking, jogging, bicycling and swimming are a few of the suggested ways to exercise.

I hoped this helped! :-D

I have suffered from headaches ever since I started my periods over 30 years ago and still suffer now. The only time I didn't get them was when I had my children hence I believe they are strongly linked to my periods. My headaches start either the day before I have a period or the same day. I get pressure behind the eye which can extend to my ear and throat. On a daily scale it can swap sides and is totally debilitating. This week I have had the headache for four days and am not expecting it to go away until at least the weekend. I feel sick and totally useless and all I can do is rest and ocassionally use the internet. If I bend down to pick sometihng up the pain increases so much it is unbearable. To be honest I can't wait for the menopause then hopefully my headaches will cease for good. Will try the evening primrose oil next month and see if it makes any improvement.

I am so glad i stumbled on this site. I have been suffering with my '3 day' headaches for years. When it's really bad they can last up to 10 days like this time - hence me doing a bit of research. I get sinus pains, nausea, drainage down my throat etc. My doc says it is migraine to do with my periods, i spoke to my gynae doc and he says its a sinus problem so suggested i seek ENT advice. Based on that i told my doc that i had a sinus infection and he gave me amoxicilin but the pain continued and the headache and sinus prob didn't go away. It has been over 10 days now. I can't believe so many have been suffering the same. I have tried every kind of pain relief but nothing seems to work. however I have just found out that if i take two asprin and two ibrufen type tablets at the same time it actually does relieve the pain. Hope this offers some relief to some of you.

I do not feel alone anymore:) Thank God! I have been having the same problems for years :-( Thanks for all the posts, now I can ease my mind.