Hi, I have a question about a friend of mine. He is a forty three years old man. For some time now, he has been suffering from diabetes. Couple of days ago a new problem occurred. He can not move one side of his face. It looks as if he is smiling all the time. I made him an appointment with the doctor. Until he sees him, what can you tell me about one side facial paralysis?

Hi, I think I know what could be wrong with your friend. The symptom you have described (one side facial paralysis) and the fact that he suffers from diabetes allow me to conclude that the condition involved is Bell's palsy. It is the most common cause of the acute facial nerve paralysis. The cause of it has not been known until recently and was always the matter of guess. However, recently a breakthrough has been made. The creation of Bell's palsy has been prescribed to Lyme disease and herpes simplex and mostly occurs with people that suffer from diabetes. What happens is that the facial nerve malfunctions. Your friend must see the doctor as soon as possible and tell him about this. The immediate treatment is necessary in order to get fully recovered. Usually it is done in a couple of weeks, rarely in couple of months and in extremely few cases some consequences are left for a lifetime. I hope your friend will experience a full recovery.