On the surface: I'm a 23 year old female in great health....Beneath the surface however, there has been something troubling me ever since I was a young kid (5 years old is about how far I back I can go--and I can remember the first known episode, too!)....Anyway, here's the problem: I have these PAINFUL! popping sensations in the back of my head--everytime it feels like someone took a hammer and bashed my head in; there's no warning signs (I can never predict when the next will happen or feel it coming on); it's like a water balloon burst followed immediately by a warm/burning-leaking sensation; I can't function because I'm consumed by the pain, which last anywhere from 30mins to 1hour+; it doesn't happen every day, but anywhere from 4-6ish times a year (with month(s) in between each episode). I haven't told my family members or friends, because I'm afraid of them judging me that I'm a hypochondriac; only my current boyfriend knows of my 'condition'...but that was by accident...We were just about to get initmate when "the pop" occurred (talk about a mood-killer). He doesn't know what to do/how to react, but is very concerned since we keep talking of marriage. And, just in case you were wondering, it doesn't matter what I'm doing--getting initmate, sitting on the couch watching tv, laying in bed, walking, playing sports, DRIVING! (yes it happened), etc. There's no particular activity that causes it. I've done some googling and "aneurysm" results comes up, it sounds like it could be, but it can't be that, because I've been dealing with this for 18 years! And, on the other end of the research spectrum, up comes "sinuses popping" or "tendons popping", but the inflicted persons do not complain of the pain--it's THAT part that seperates me, I believe, from the rest of those individuals--the pain--that's the part that's unbearable and the one major symptom that scares me....Now, I did go to the local ER back in 2008 because it was so bad (the pain didn't seem to go away) and I was so scared, but doctors only took X-rays (after I sat in the ER room for 3 hours) and told me that I was another migraine sufferer and discharged me. I know that an MRI or something like it would be my best bet to see what were the underlying causes that an X-ray can't pick up, but I don't have health insurance and I'm unemployed (that's what I get for going to an expensive college..but that's a totally different story) But back to my 'condition', I'm going to have to ride it out until I'm in a better financial situation; but if only I can have some clue or grasp of what's going on!! UGH!! Because I can't help but think that the "next pop" would be "the one" (meaning that I'll end up in the hospital from serious complications or just drop over dead)--I'm I crazy hypochondriac or do I have just reasons to be concern????

Have you figured anything out? My 1o yo son just let me know he's been experiencing this for 5 years.

I'm 21 and have been experiencing exactly the same for a good few years, in the last month and a half I must have had about 4, they seem to be getting more intense and more frequent, I've googled it and everything seems to say it's stress related? I will defo be visiting my GP asap :s

Exact same thing has been happening to me! Ever since I was in kindergarten. More frequent now that I'm in my 20s but not often. Same sensation, same everything. Happened while driving and it was so painful that I lost my clear vision for a second. I'll be book marking this for future reference! 

This has been happening to me sine I was about 5 (I'm 20 now.) I wish there was some kind of answer out there but I've never been able to find anything about it other than this post. Thank you for this. It helps to know I'm not alone.

has anyone had any answers on what this is as i know someone having them

My doctor told me that it was likely caused by a bone spur on the back of my head, which would occasion click or pop as it brushed up against and caught a nerve or blood vessel.

How is it stress related what is it called on Google ?

I have that feeling too. It was so painful .what is this pls tell us :(

Hi everyone! I just wanted to tell you all that I have had this problem since I was little and I just went to my chiropractor and after some X-rays he found that my neck is out of line. The popping and burning/leaking is caused by a nerve being pinched between to vertebraes that don't have enough space due to the misalignment! And now he is doing some work to realign my neck, hopefully I can get rid of these popping sensations. So maybe talk to your chiropractor about getting a neck X-ray! Hope you all can get this problem fixed too!

My son just let me know he's dealing with this as well. I found this page researching the symptoms. Any luck with finding out? I'm all for the MRI as well

My 7yo son has been experienving a painful pop sensation on the back right side of his head for several weeks now. Nurse practitioner at our pediatrician,s office said not to be concerned.... still a mom so still concerned. Please post if you get an mri or answers.

I've had this happen to me on and off for over 20 years. It's at the base of my skull, half way between my spine and my ear. Its definitely not in my brain like the "brain zaps" people get from antidepressants. This is very much a muscle/tendon kind of thing. It's doesn't need to be any major movement to cause it, sometimes something as subtle as flipping a page in a book. But the feeling is like nothing else. It's very quick and only lasts a second, and feels like a rubber band snapping, but extremely painful. But then the burning pain lingers for while after the actual event. It definitely feels like a nerve or ligament is getting caught and then snaps. Ive never figured out the true cause, and it comes and goes. I could have it happen once a week, and then go months without it happening.
I'd love to know if anyone ever got a real diagnosis on this!

Look up Occipital Neuralgia. Pretty sure this is what everyone is describing.

Search Arnold Chiari Malformation