I was at the gym last week and when I got up from doing tricep dips, i heard a loud crack/ popping sound in my chest. I have had pain for 5 days now and went to the emergency department at the hospital yesterday. All they did was suggest that I continue to take painkillers, which are not taking away the pain.

I am worried that I have broken something but the doc said that the movement that I did would not have broken anything so he didn't do an x-ray. I am not having difficulty breathing but it is sore to cough and also when I move my arms or head or neck.

Can anyone confirm whether this sounds like a fracture or whether it is just bruising which will take time to heal. I am worried about the popping sound that I heard as this did not sound like muscle, more like bone.

My mum did the exact same thing about 2 weeks ago. She described it as though someone had hit her straight in the chest, from behind. She too was unable to lift her arms above her head without pain, or cough without pain.

The GP recons it was a torn ligament, and that she rest should fix it up.

I'm not sure though, how a tricep dip can cause a ligament tear or rupture within the chest, so I thought it was perhaps part of a pleural lining, or something?

Here's what I found. For a more thorough outline, check out Wikipedia

Precordial Catch Syndrome (PCS), also known as Texidor's twinge, is a common cause of chest pain complaints in children and adolescents. It also occurs less frequently in adults. PCS manifests itself as a very intense, sharp pain typically at the left side of the chest which is worse when taking breaths. The pain is very similar to the pain associated with heart attack, which creates panic in the victim. This typically lasts 30 seconds to 3 minutes and then is resolved as quickly as it began.

I broke my collar bone today after doing chest dip, so it is possible! I will find out tomorrow if i need surgery or not :-(

I just did the samething last wed, I have since been taking it easy not lifting heavy stuff. Taking over the counter meds and using ice. Today..Moday I am feeling a lot better can move my arms behind my back to undo my bra, before it was painful. Im afraid to do those again but have heard that the muscle needs to be made stronger. Not a 100% but I feel way better

Found this post after hurting myself in a similar way today. Was on my third set of bench dips, not feeling too bad, when something went pop right in the middle of my chest. no pain if I stretch my arms out or up but something's not good when squeeze or push inward. What is that? Ouch.

I had the exact same thing happen this morning while doing dips. Did you see a doctor? If so, what did they say. How long has it taken to heal? I'm trying to figure out what I need to do. If I do the same sort of movement, it feels like something is broken in half in the center of my chest, and hurts.

I suffered an injury to my sternum area about 10 years ago. had someone flop down on my chest while i was laying down. nothing shows on xrays, it feels like its building up pressure and begins to get very painful which in return makes me want to relieve the pressure which can be relieved for the most part by rolling my shoulders back and pushing my chest forward which results in a loud pop and instant relief of most of the pain but not all of it. over the years the bones where they connect to my spine have started having chronic pain that is also at times relieved by popping my spine. all of my joints that are easy to pop build up pressure in then and become annoying until i pop them then they stop for a while but repeat the process several times per day. the area where the injury is gets very aggrevated if i do things like pushups or bench press or even close my arms to close together for too long. if i try to flex my chest muscles the pain becomes extreme and lasts for several minutes to hours afterwards.

i am having the same pain got a big pop in my chest like somebody has shot me what to do how will it go its been 5 days i am struggling 

I too have the same problem. I was doing bench dips and while going up on one of my reps, i felt a sudden pop. It doesn't hurt that much. I just feel a little discomfort when i stretch in or out. I also can't do sit ups because it hurts.

You need not to worry. Just give rest your body just 2 months. Do not lift thing heavy weight. I have experienced same problem.

I just found your post because I just did exactly this to myself. How long did it take to heal?