Hi, I 34 years old and I had c-section last month. Everything passed fine but soon after operation I felt numbness on one part of my abdomen. I thought is may be caused by scarf but now I see that scarf is healing and I still feel such numbness. I would like to know if some nerve was damaged during c-section.

Hi, I also had c-section and my doctor described me, before operation started, that he would cut some small nerves under the skin but their function will be restored in the months which will come. I also felt numbness on my stomach for several months but it all bring back to normal later. If such problems persist it would be good to discuss it with your doctor.

Hello carlynn, 

Even though this is one of the relatively rare side effects of the c section procedure, as well as with any other surgical procedure, there is a possibility that, like astra said, some nerves that carry the skin sensations get cut off. And when there are no nerves to carry the sensation, you feel numbness in the area.

Still, the area that is affected usually is very small – if you feel numbness in the bigger part of your abdomen, than you have to mention this to your doctor to still check up if everything underneath the skin – abdominal muscles, mainly – are healing up as well. But, yes, a month is still too soon for complete healing. It takes a bit more time for all skin and muscle layers to regenerate.

I, also, had a c section. My daughter was my third children four headband I still have numbness below my belly button to my scar on the right side. It's been seven months and it doesn't seen like I am regaining any feeling at all on that one spot.