Hey everyone,

I am planning to get my tubes tied but I still have some questions which I need answers to and I am hoping to get these answers from someone who already had tubal ligation surgery. I want to know everything that you can tell me about the procedure itself but I mostly want to know about the side effects that you might have had and if the surgery itself was painful (or afterwards, I want to know about any pain which is caused by this procedure). I do want to do tubal ligation but my mind isn't totally set yet.

Hi there,

Not really, the procedure itself is not painful. You should be allowed to go home just a couple of hours after the surgery is done. Some of the common things to experience after the procedure is done, let's call these side effects, are abdominal pain or cramping, fatigue, dizziness, gassiness or bloating, and shoulder pain, nothing really dangerous.

You should be aware of the fact that doing tubal ligation doesn't mean that it is going to be impossible for you to get pregnant, that can still happen. I know one person who actually got pregnant 2 years after her tubal ligation surgery.

If the procedure goes as it should go, you shouldn't really have any side effects afterwards. The procedure itself is not painful because you will be sedated so you won't really feel anything. My advice for you is to talk to some women who already did tubal ligation so that you can hear their experience. I know two girls who did tubal ligation and they both regretted that they did this and now they are thinking about tubal ligation reverse which costs a big amount of money. Never rush into something like this, think twice, or even three times before you do this.

Hey guys,

Okay, this was very important for me because I am actually scared of any side effects, I didn't want to tell you that at the beginning because you might not tell me if there were any bad side effects (I can't even stand some basic side effects of some medications).

The chances of becoming pregnant afterwards are actually really small so I'm not worried about that at all. It's just that I have been talking to my husband about it and we both think that this would be a good thing to do but I am still kind of unsure, I can't understand why.

Hi there. I still do believe that the worst side - effect is a possibility of ectopic pregnancy. So, generally, if a tubal ligation fails for some reason and you become pregnant, you have an increased risk of having an ectopic pregnancy. I know one girl who had problems with this, and ectopic pregnancy happened to her. Generally, statistics are showing that ectopic pregnancies can occur even years after the tubal ligation. So, if you ask me, there is no worst side - effect from this one. When it comes to the procedure, it is not painful at all.

I would not agree that this is not painful. Every procedure, every surgery needs to be painful, even for a couple of days. Sure, this pain is not sharp and you can stand it, but it is there.

Actually, the most common side - effect of this procedure is pain and cramping in the pelvic area.

It is almost normal and each patient who did this procedure are facing with it. 

Sure, potential side - effects don't have to occur to everybody, but if they do be sure that they will go away after a couple of days. 

Hi.

Every single lady that I know that did this procedure, they didn't have any side - effects. I have heard that some of them are saying that this can affect your hormones.

That is not true. This procedure can't affect your hormones and you can ask this anyone.

It is not that painful, you might have some small pain after the procedure but that is normal. If you follow the instructions that your doctors gave you, you won't be in trouble of being in pain or having some other side - effects that can cause some infections or similar issues. Take care. 

Why don't you just talk to someone who already did this procedure? I did this and I can tell you that this was the best way to find out what I wanted to know about this. I was talking to one older lady and she told me that first thing that I need to do is to think about this procedure very carefully. She told me that a lot of them were sorry after they did tubal ligation. Also, there is a risk of ectopic pregnancy and we all do know how dangerous it can be. When it comes to pain, you should know that this pain is minor and it will go away in a while. Abdominal pain can be present and this procedure can affect your period as well.