Hello everyone,

I talked to my best friend about the fact that I have decided to not have any kids anymore (I am a mother of three) and she told me that tubal ligation is the thing that I should do because when I do that I cannot become pregnant again, is that true?

I am hoping that someone here might tell me more about tubal ligation, I want to know what it is and what are the possible side effects of this procedure, if there are any odds for it to go wrong and is it 100% sure that I cannot become pregnant afterwards?

Hi Guest,

In a tubal ligation the fallopian tubes which carry the eggs into the uterus are cut or tied (banded).

There are risks.  It is not 100% effective in that in some cases the tubes can reattach or clear enough for an egg to be fertilized.  Unfortunately this usually results in an ectopic pregnancy, due to scar tissue in the fallopian tubes, and the pregnancy is not viable.  It would also likely result in emergency surgery since the fallopian tube could rupture.

See your doctor or ob/gyn for more information.

I have heard that complications during the tubal ligation surgery are very uncommon but they can still happen sometimes, there are some minor complications like infections or wound separation and there are some major complications which include big amounts of blood loss, some general anesthesia problems (which occurs really rarely), organ injury during surgery (which almost never happens) or a need for a larger incision during surgery. It is not 100% sure that you won't be able to become pregnant again after this procedure, there are still some odds that you can become pregnant so I don't know, it's up for you to decide do you want it or not.

I think that it might not be too easy for you to decide whether you want to have this procedure done or not. I guess that you should just gather as most information as you can and then decide what you think would be the best for you. 

My personal opinion is that there is no need for this kind of procedure, I don't think that the benefits are worth the risk, I don't think that benefits are big at all and if you are planning to have sex really often, I guess that you should simply use protection then (or just be careful). 

If you want to do it just because you don't want to have kids anymore, then my advice to you is to not do it. A very close friend of mine did it because she didn't want to have kids ever again and now she is pregnant even though she did tubal ligation a couple of years ago. She knew that there was a risk of becoming pregnant even after the surgery but she thought that it was not going to happen to her, oh boy, was she wrong. You need to think a lot before you decide to do this.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your replies, I have to admit that I didn't expect to get so many answers in such a short amount of time.

Well, I do kind of only want to do it because it will make it impossible for me to become pregnant but now that you've told me that this is not 100% sure, I don't think that I want to do it anymore. It is no use if I am going to give my money for this and then some day I might just realize that I am pregnant, and plus this pregnancy can be dangerous then.

Hi.

Before you consider doing this, you should consult with two or three different experts. Generally, tubal ligation is an abdominal operation performed with anesthesia and like every surgery, this one has some risks as well. Those risks are damage to the bowel or blood major vessels, bad healing that can cause an infection, abdominal pain, pelvic pain, etc. 

My friend from a job had this surgery and some complications happened. When other doctor started to take care of her, he told her that she had some previous infection and that in this case no one should let her do this procedure. 

Hello medic-dan. I am 34 year old lady and I have three kids. I want to do this procedure as well, like many other ladies. Now, when I am reading your post I think that I do know more about this, but of course, some things I still don't get. I believed that this is 100 percent effective. Not 100, 110 percent effective. Now, when I am reading your post I can't stop wondering why this is not totally effective and how this is possible? I always believed that this is the safest way and that is why I have this idea to do that. Let me know more. Thank you!

Nothing is 100 percent sure and effective, remember this fact. It is silly to think twice or more than that will you do this or not. You are going to do it or you are not going to do that, there is no third choice. 

When it comes to side effects of getting your tubes tied, one thing is for sure and that is that they can vary. Before you make a decision, consult an expert.

When you compare this method with other methods of birth control, such as contraceptive pills or implants, tubal ligation has some side effects that your doctor should tell you. 

So, it is important to ask your doctor whatever you want to know and after this, you should decide should you do it or not. 

Don't listen to those who will tell you that there no are risks of this procedure. Every surgery, every procedure has its own risk, so tubal ligation is not an exception. Generally, tubal ligation is fairly safe, especially if you're in overall good health, if you have a healthy weight, and haven't previously had surgery on that area of your body. But also you have to keep in your mind that those are three factors that you need to have, and in those times it is hard to find a person who is healthy, without surgeries, etc. In fact, there's less than a 1% chance of complications. That said, you're having surgery, so the risk isn't zero. For example, anesthesia can bear some risks as well. And that is only the beginning.

You can't really say that anesthesia is number one of the side - effects. You must be joking. True, it can have some side - effects such as nausea, vomiting, etc...But that can happen after every surgery, not just this one.

There are less serious and more serious side - effects. For example, less serious side - effects can happen just after the surgery and they are swollen stomach, cramping, some bleeding, blood clots and even shoulder pain. 

Also, after the surgery, you should skip having intercourse because it can cause pain and bleeding as well. 

If you notice anything, call your doctor.