I am a 55 year old white male in basically good health. No heart problems, no respiratory issues though I do smoke cigarettes. On Aug. 14th, 2007 I underwent Laporascopic surgery where the surgeon removed the the entire Descending and Sigmoid Colon then reattached my Transverse Colon to the partial portion left of the end of my Sigmoid Colon just before the rectum. I underwent prior to the surgery a battery of tests, Colonoscopy, Pelvic/Abdominal CT scans and a BE with contrast. I also sought a second opinion from another gastric surgeon. The general concensus between my GI doctor, the second opinion and my surgeon was that I have the surgery. I have had GI issues, chronic constipation, became laxative dependant, weight loss of 25+ lbs. which is what finally promted me to seek surgical intervention as I was no longer able to be treated medically, per my GI doctor. My Sigmoid Colon had a malformation where it had become twisted in upon itself causing me at times severe abdominal pain and the other symtpoms I just related there was no cancer or other disease process involved. This had become an real issue in my day to day life for the past 6+ years. The surgery went very well. No colostomy was needed and my stay in the hospital was 4 days before discharge to home. I have had 2 post-op follow-up visits so far and my surgeon tells me that everything went well and my recovery is going as expected. He has placed me on Docusate Calcium, twice a day and Mirilax daily but other than that tells me I can eat whatever I want. With the removal of so much of my Colon what nutritional problems can I expect? I take Vitamin C, 500mg/day and Centrum MVI/daily, Zocor 20mg/day, Nexium 40mg/day. I am so far feeling much better than prior to the surgery but was told that total recovery could take up to and possibly longer than 3 months. My surgeon seems to know little about nutritional needs post-op so I am seeking advice from those who have had to undergo similar surgeries. I have checked website after website and get differing advice and opinions from just about every site I check. So far I am still on about a half liquid diet, Ensure Plus and soups then supplement with oatmeal, higher protein foods such as Progresso vegetable soups with added chopped chicken. I have started adding slowly a fiber supplement called Fabulous Fiber but have done this with caution. Any ideas about what my dietary needs are now that I have had this surgery will be greatly appreciated.

I'm at day 11 - pretty much the same surgery as you. How are you doing a year later. Any advice for me?