Hi there

I've been searching for answers this evening after numerous visits to my doctor over the past few months.

I have suffered Migraines, always on the right side, mostly with in my face, cheeks, neck for the past three years (pain usually starts with stiffness in the neck)

I stopped drinking alcohol about 3 months ago because I realised I was at the point where I could not drink even one drink without experiencing a headache.

About 2 months ago I noticed a lump on the right side of my neck, I have since found out it is a lymph node/nodes (Prosterior cervical) . My doctor seems to think it is two nodes stuck together or "matted" as she described them. The lump is not particularly large, about 2cm by 1.5cm and it's not fixed, it is hard, but not very hard, not "hard as a rock". It can be easily felt when I tilt my head and the doctor could clearly see the lump.

I have been extremely fatigued, to say the least. I have been to the doctor many times over the past few months with that as my main concern, I just have zero energy, I feel like I can barely make it through the day some days.

I didn't think much of the lump until more recently, the past couple of weeks. I started to get neck pain and aching about two weeks ago that was persistant. The pain has progressed day by day. I have taken antibiotics (apparently strong- Levofloxacin) and they have not affected the lump or the pain. I have taken ibuprofen for the pain, it helps a little.My doctor told me that the next step is to order an ultrasound or a CT scan.

The pain for the past few days has become unbareable and seems to radiate from my neck to my chest, I feel swollen and pressure...but there is no evidence of any swelling. I cannot sleep at night and have had very little relief.

I have also, in the past week, started experiencing ear pain. I could have sworn I was getting an ear infection, my doctor said there are no signs of redness. I now feel pressure in my right ear especially, ringing in my ears, they fill like they are filled up with something and they hurt. Of course my lymph node has been enlarged for months, it doesn't seem to make sense that it could be from an ear infection that has developed in the past week, but I was hopeful that that was all it was.

The nurse also told me that my pulse was racing at the beginning of my visit and had not calmed down by the end of my visit.

They also asked if I had had any fevers, to which I replied no. I have since taken my temperature at times where i've felt hot and cold, my temperature through my sleepless nights went from 96.3 when I was having chills to 99.5 when I was feeling hot to 97.6 to 96.1 to 98.7. I know these are all in normal body temp range but I was alarmed at the range of temperatures. The house temp stayed the same all night. It concerned me, perhaps I shouldn't be worried though, I don't know.

I called the doctor (whom I think is getting fed up with me) asking for no more waiting, I asked for them to take the next step and book me an ultra sound or CT (whichever they thought was necessary) because I can't stand the pain, the mystery ear problems and the worry that the lump is now bringing me any further.

I have a CT scan appointment tomorrow. I guess they chose to go with the CT scan.

My question is, what are they looking for on the CT scan?

I would also like some guidance as to steps to take if the CT scan comes back all clear, what other steps could I take to getting to the root of my pain and ear problems with no obvious signs of viral infection or illness? I understand no one can diagnose online, I would just like some advice on the process of diagnosing the possible cause for my problems, and whether anyone has any experience with these symptoms, or a possible link between my migraines and the "Matted nodes" in my neck, neck pain, ear pain etc.

Thanks so much

Hi, just wanna know the result of your CT. Been experiencing the same for months now though the lump has been there for over two years.

CT scan can tell alot of thgs ..like presense of certain medical condition ..lump, etc..i dunno much but hvg a hard lump behind my left ears for 5 mths now. doc cant reli tell much..ct scan/mri shud be able to shed some light plus blood test may be ordered. hope u ll be okay. tell me the outcome. im still clueless n worried sick wondering wat causes this lump. and why is it not goin away

Hi ELPWB I have been having same symptoms, many doctor visits with no solution. Horrible, horrible headaches, with swollen lymph nodes, stiff neck, no fevers. I even had 2 CT scans that came out normal, all bloodwork normal. I am curious if you are feeling better & if you found out what this illness is??

Hello elpwb  I Was having pain in right ear and swelling in the lymph node on the right  side of my neck .My primary doctor sent me to ENT  doctor who cleaned wax from my ears and gave me a hearing test,he also took small samples of the tissue (4) from the knot on my neck and sent them to be tested,he ran a tube into the opening to my throat and said he saw a small spot.He gave me antibotics and made a new appoitment for me on 6-30-12.

I was really anxious to find out the results of the bio,the swelling had gone down in my neck.I kept the 6-30-appointment and was informed the results from the bio showed cancer.

I am schelued for surgery on 6-12-12 to be followed by radiation and chemo .I am having Cat scan,and appointments with radiation doctors in preperation for the operation.

Maybe I should get a second opinion on the cancer.What do you think?

ELPWB wrote:

I am suffering exactly the symptoms as you are. In addition fairly constant ringing in the ears, a nose infection in and inside the nose, very runny nose for a few hours and then stops (happened twice) an eye infection that lasted 2 days. The most awkward part of it is the neck ache and resulting headaches at night - waking up every 2 hours.

It seems that this is happening to many people this summer. I haven't gone to the doctor yet, because I don't think there's much they can and should do.

One last thing. I stumbled across many web sites that describe these exact same symptoms in reference to a global spiritual awakening this year. It's up to you as to what you make of it. If you google words such as "symptoms" "ascension" "2012" "energy shift" you should come across some interesting material.

Apparently the condition is only transitory.

Email me if you have any further questions.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Jimmyray, I have had similar symptoms. MRI and Cat Scan was done and the results came back Probable Lymph Nodes.

ENT Dr., said if I had additional questions, I need to see another Dr.

Super frustrated becuase the pain and pressure in my ears, neck and throat is very uncomfortable.

How did you get your Dr to order a biopsy?

I just read this. So what happened? What were the results of the cat scan?

Actually the CT scan showed many lymph nodes in my neck but further testing ruled out anything like cancer, the doc discovered that I had Hashi's hypothyroidism which has explained many of my odd symptoms that developed (including horrible swelling in my hands, feet, face and especially my eyes) and since taking levothyroxine 75mcg I feel much healthier, have lost weight, have energy, less headaches, the neck nodes are still there but I've been told they're like scar tissue now. My ears are better, no more pain and pressure...the radiating pain i was experiencing has also subsided. Hope that helps.

That sounds very good. I'm happy you've gotten a diagnosis that could be treated and the levothyroxine 75mcg has helped.

I am glad to hear you have a diagnosis and you are feeling healthier with treatment. It has been eye opening for me to read about your symptoms as my daughter was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at 1 month old. She was obviously in a lot of pain, although many GP's had not even heard of a baby with this disease. Be sure to get your RT3 levels checked along with all the standard blood tests. We had to make a special request for this and glad we did so as she had taken too much thyroxine, pushing her small body further into hypothyroidism. 

She is now off medication (for now) and well. I also avoided soy, brassica, corn, strawberries, gluten and any synthetic chemicals, as much as I could. I know it sounds extensive but I believe this helped her body immensely. Her thyroid functions now and we were told it would not. 

Where we live it is common practice for the thyroid gland to be radiated so it doesn't function at all. If this is suggested to you or anyone reading this please try avoiding the above mentioned foods as well as reading Dr Cabot's books. 

All the best to you, I would love to hear how things are going as time goes by. 

Your story is identical to the t of mine exactly the same my ears would hurt and itch so I thought ear infection but no I got pain in my neck that travels to my head stiff neck night sweats matted lymph nodes on back of my neck two together and one on its own a very tiny possible lymph node knot on the front of my neck high blood pressure abnormal shaped blood cell .slightly high white blood cells fatigue but I have sleep apnea and anemic just feel like c**p

Cortisol levels/Adrenal gland issues!
I know this is old but I'll almost bet that's it!