Alright, so a few days ago I developed a pain deep in my throat. It seemed like it could be something along the lines of strep. I had minor congestion and other cold-like symptoms leading up to this, but nothing significant since it had recently gotten warm and everyone in the city was having these same problems. The pain was exclusive to the right side. My lymph node was quite swollen as well. I treated the pain (which was mild at this time) with ibuprofen, which brought it to ease.

Yesterday the pain was unbearable. I had also been feeling quite a bit of pain in my ear, as well as my jaw and even my back teeth. The pain deep in my throat is almost constant, as well as the ear pain. I sometimes feel a headache as well. All of the said pains are exclusive to the right side. I can still swallow, but it f*****g hurts. 

I have tried everything to ease the pain and absolutely nothing works. I’ve taken ibuprofen, acetaminophen, pseudoephedrine, gargled salt water and cayenne pepper mixed with water, and used obnoxious amounts of numbing throat spray. Nothing eases the pain whatsoever. I’ve considered looking into prescription painkillers just to cope with the pain.

I went to the health center at my school and were of no help. They took a strep test, which came back negative. They told me my ear looked perfect, but I can sure as hell tell you that it didn’t feel perfect. They refused to give me any sort of antibiotics, told me to keep taking ibuprofen, and to quit smoking (I’m nineteen and have been smoking for a year and a half).

The pain is awful. I don’t want to do anything except sleep because that’s the only time I can’t feel anything. I’m ready for this to go away, but I have a bad feeling in my stomach that it’s not going to. Any help would be extremely appreciated. 

Thanks.

Had exactly the same problem for the last three days only on the left side first and now on both the sides. Finally managed to see a ENT doctor today. Diagnosed as acute laryngitis - and prescribed a dose of antibiotics to be started immediately. Also feeling feverish.

Ears , jaw all of them hurt too. Gets worse with some foods. Salt water gargling to be avoided as per my doc, further aggrevates the situation. Glands swollen.

Was because of food , some stale chinese i guess.

Its quite bad and dont postpone seeing a good doc.

Dogme95 wrote:

Thanks.

I too have had a deep sore throat and swollen glands plus pain from right ear to throat. I also feel that there is something stuck in my throat , also white patches on the back of my throat this has been going on for months and is very worrying. Saw the doc who could feel a lump and said my glands were swollen, he referred me to ENT surgeon. Will update after appointment. Anyone any ideas what to do ???

Dogme95 wrote:

Thanks.

do you still have you wisdom teeth? I had all the symptoms you speak of and it turnes out to be wisdom teeth. if you still have your wisdom teeth, you do need an antibiotic to kill the infection, and that will help with pain, ..your dentist will also give you pain meds as well.

seems like this was posted 8mths ago i hope you found out what it was if you did please post. I have the exact same thing minus being a smoker I went to urgent care and they found no infection he said it might be facial arthritis (eye roll) I seriosly don't think arthritis will affect my throat, he also recommended i go see my dentist and i did and my dentist matched my dental records to the ones taken in May he said he saw a slight inflimation "slight" but refered me to a endodontists i've been doing online reasearch for a while now and have come up with nothing, some people did post ear and tooth ache and the fact that they went to see a dentist got a lot of root canals and the problem still exists i truly do not think it's my teeth i would know it's my body i know it has to do with my ear and throat maybe sinuses but i have no mucus but that probably has to do with my boy friend running the heater and drying out all my mucus. I truly don't feel good and i've been on ibuprofen for a few days now I normaly don't take nothing for pain cause i believe the more you take the more your body gets use to it and my pain tolerance is pretty high but this pain was so intense i needed something just to go to sleep and function.

So it's 4am & I couldn't sleep. Merry Christmas to me, right. SAME exact situation as you had. Please please please tell me how you made out & what I can expect. Pain is excruciating!!!!!!!!!

I'm going on day 3 of the wisdom tooth/throat symptoms phenomena...however, I definitely think the two are linked. I'm going to my doc for antibiotic and hopefully some stronger pain medication. The white spot in tonsil is an infection primarily from bacteria...so that should be cured with the antibiotics. I'll reply back with an update.

I've had a swollen left gland in my neck for about a week now, makes it hard to eat and talk, I just got a weird sensation in my right arm that is making it feel really heavy and tingly, along with headaches situated just in the temple, and ear aches, this is the most pain/annoying thing I've ever experienced.. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Could be mono- I had it and now I've been having the ear pain with what looks like a sore on the right side of the back of my throat. It's causing severe ear pain. Idk if it's the wisdom teeth but get checked for mono!

i have the same problem now......it all started Sunday evening (I had Chinese for dinner), at first it was just the headaches and the swollen throat but yesterday got totally worse, my throat, my tonsils, my ears, my jaw, my teeth and my head were all hurting and I couldn't bare it anymore.

Whilst I was sleeping, I found it hard to even dream, id wake up, feel the pain and dream of snakes biting me, I didn't get much sleep last nyt. Now all the pain, all over my head are in much pain and it feels like everytime I move my head it gets worse or if I talk for the matter.

yesterday I took 8 tablets of ibruprofen and tht did f**k all, took 2 tablets of 500mg of paracetamol about 30 mins ago and its doing f**k all...........ive even tried ringing up my doctor but they seem to be busy. Ive also had a bit of diahrea (dnt no how to spell it)

Help please I cant bare this pain anymore.

I am freaked out as well, been reading all of these posts.  I went to the doctor yesterday morning and my ear drums feel as though they're going to explode.  I used to get Strep all of the time, so in 2007 I had my tonsils and adnoids out.  This sore throat feels MONUMENTALY similar to Strep.  The doctor assured me that it is not, that it is probably a sinus infection.  I am on my 2nd day of antibiotics, the pain is unreal.  Swallowing is insanely painful. 

I think I need to buy a vaporizer or a humidifier for my studio apt, because it is very dry heat in here.  I have been waking up every hour on the hour so this last time at 4 a.m. I just decided to make tea and stay up. 

I live on an island and we have this killer blizzard heading our way, so if I buy online the humidifier or vaporizer won't arrive until next week.  I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy some pricy one here in our pharmacy... GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US, THIS SUCKS IN A MOST PROFOUND WAY!!!!

i found out that my symptoms are due to an ear infection and was prescribed Erythrymicin and they worked a treat after 30mins :)
Good luck through the storm and drink plenty of water.
x

I have swollen glands under jaw line off and on.My teeth hurt on the side of swollen glands.My dentist told me it was from allergies .I have been diagnosed with allergies and postnasal drip.Iam currently experiencing these symptoms plus VERY sensitive teeth.Does anyone have suggestions for treating the swelling?Iam taking advil for the pain in my teeth.

I just stumbled on this page, and I can't help but feel sympathy, as I have had plenty of ear aches. Mine have usually responded to antibiotics. If your throat feels really swollen like someone is squeezing your neck just under your chin, it might be food allergies. I am allergic to garlic, and this is the main symptom I have. It may take a few hours or more from when you eat the offending food for it to show up, so you might be thinking it isn't a food allergy. Might be worth looking into. 

If tests show nothing, it might be worth trying a relexologist, massage therapy,  or even a reiki healer. Maybe there is some tension on a nerve. Nerve pain is the worst and most unrelenting kind of pain. 

I hope you get some relief. 

I had the exact same problem you have. I saw an urgent care dr. My strep test came back negative and my ear was fine. Dr. recommended a pencillin shot since it wiould work faster trough my blood stream. Three days later, the pain was much worse and the lympth nodes, tonsils and tongue were swolen. I couldn't eat, drink, swallow or talk without excruciating pain. I went to see my PCP (another $25 co-pay). Again my strep test was negative and ear was fine. Dr. said I had a very serious infection going on. He said that bacteria is getting smarter and is finding a way around penicilling. Therefore, he incresed my antibiotics and prescribed Amoxicilling 825 mg, ibuprfen 800 mg for the pain and lidocaine to num the area. The lidocaine only worked for about 30 minutes. Finally, nine (9) days after initially seeing the urgent care doctor, I started to feel better. My ears and jaw still feel swolen, but at least the pain is gone. I am on day six of antibiotics. I too gargled with warm water and salt. I drank chamomile tea with lemon and honey. I even tried to gargle with peroxice, but it really hurt. Don't try the peroxide. I had never gone through this before. It has been a horrible experience. Just hang in there. You will eventially feel better.