Hopefully someone can help me out. I have heart palpitations that pretty much happen all the time. (Of course it never shows up while at a doctor's office). It is just a sudden pound or two of my heart and then it goes away. This has been going on for several months now. I'm actually quite used to them now, unfortunately.

But, a couple of months ago my heart started to gradually speed up and the speed increased so much that it caused my arm to go numb and I almost blacked out, trouble breathing. The numbness felt like I hit my funny bone, the numbness went from my elbow to my pinky on my left arm. It was not painful but it was very uncomfortable and unsettling. I was panicked as I did not know what was happening. I was taken to the emergency room because I thought I was having a heart attack, which was not the case. Long story short they told me that it wasn't a heart attack and I may have been dehydrated and to stay away from caffeine.

I visited my primary doctor and had a complete physical and everything was fine. Blood work work ok too. I'm 5'11" 186lbs and am in "ok" shape. I now stay away from caffeine and drink plenty of water. So I thought I was ok.

A week later, I'm in my car in traffic and again my heart starts to speed up and my arm starts to get numb(Funny bone sensation) all over again. I started feeling woozy. I tried to take in deep breaths through my nose and out through my mouth (The paramedic told me to do this the first time) and after 15-20 minutes I was feeling better.

So my question is..does anybody know what this may be? Anxiety maybe? Allergic reaction to something? Panick attack? Funny thing is both times this happened, I was in my car. Is it possibly claustrophobia? I do getting strange or funny sensations on my heart that are difficult to explain that happen when I relaxing at home. Not sure what to do. Doctors hooked me up to EKG's 3 times on 3 different occasions and everything is always normal.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it! You may be saving my life.

it seems like yu are having a little trouble with either carbon monoxide or freon poisening make sure your lines on your ac arent leaking and make sure your exhaust isnt leaking under the car. Many people don't know that driving in heavy traffic or sitting, can lead to carbon monoxide poisen. yes this is a gas yu can't smell, but the intake of carbon monoxide in everyday traffic, can make you woozy or sick the gas intake can cause shrinkage of brain nerves and lack of oxygen to the heart your left arm being closest to the heart is like your spider since for the heart and brain so to speak. another possible cause is the way you position your neck when you are driving this can cause a pinch of the nerve cutting off oxygen and circulation which will cause the numbing sensation. On a final note, most sleep related crashes are not just due to tired drivers, but intake of carbon monoxide leaking into the vehicle, causing the driver to be tired and fall asleep at the wheel. Driving with not enough rest with the combination of carbon monoxide poisen can be worse than drunk driving. As a cab driver with 20 years of experience this is a fact I have come to realization with. oh and one more cause to oxygen depletion to the brain is smoking of any type of anything. 1. the smoke itself replaces oxygen slowing brain function, 2. the intake of formaldehyde that most cigarettes contain can put the brain to sleep, so combined with nicotine and other chemicals can cause as much as %50 of brain malfunction, including but not limited to, mini strokes, to much sleep, heart palpitations, shrinking of nerves to the brain, that can cause someone to suddenly pass out or feel down, depressed, or numbness in different areas of the body. The shrinking of nerves in the brain causes reduction of much needed protein and oxygen that the brain needs giving some people epileptic type quick seizures and unexplained black outs woops I just explained it.

You are having an anxiety attack, no doubt in my mind. I am 60 years old and have had them throughout my life, often in the car. It is weird but it happens. I have had a complete work up since I was in my 20's and I am still here!!!! When it happens just try to talk yourself through it and always have water in the car. It helps.