Hi, I have some strange symptoms and my doctor suspects on premature ovarian failure. I have hot flashes, irritability and painful sex. Could this really be symptoms of premature ovarian failure?

Hi, I was diagnosed with premature ovarian failure five months ago. I didn’t have the same symptoms as you, I experienced something different. My vagina area was dry all the time, my sexual drive was decreased and my periods started being irregular. I knew it couldn’t be a menopause, because I was 27 years old when the symptoms appeared. Because of the premature ovarian failure, I missed my chance of being pregnant, and I was devastated. I went to fertility treatments, but my condition didn’t improve. Unfortunately, premature ovarian failure is almost always permanent, so I don’t expect to get better. My husband and I are considering an adoption. We can’t have a child, and there are many kids with no parents.

Hi, I had the same symptoms as you. I went to my GYN in August '06. I had a pelvic and pap smear done which was painful. He told me I was a healthy young girl (44). Two months later, I found myself in ER with severe acute abdominal pain. The doctor failed to detect large cysts on both ovaries. Cysts that would be at least three times the size of the ovary. Have a ct scan done, and an ultrasound. Not only did my cysts show up in the ct scan, but another GYN in ER felt them. These were slow growing dermoid cysts that would have been there two months prior, or 10 years prior. My GYN never detected them. Caused me a lot of pain and suffering and a total hysterectomy. Had they been dectected before they killed my ovary, they could have been removed and I would be fine. Get it checked out.

I have chronic G.I. problems, so when I reported to the docs that I've been experiencing new severe abdominal pain they assumed it to be related to my chronic health/ G.I. issues. I did have 2 colonoscopies, sonograms, but no CAT scan. After 3 hospitalizations I was referred to an oncologist/hemotologist, who checked my hormone levels as well. He suspected Premature Ovarian Failure and referred me to an endocrinologist. I have been having all the symptoms I've been reading in the posts. 'Stevenson' wondered if it could be POF and I would say the symptoms fit...of course I'm no expert. This is just from what I've experienced, read and researched. I just wondered, if it is normal to have the severity of pain I do. I am well versed in experiencing severe/excruciating pain, because
I have chronic severe pain from other physical/G.I. problems, but this pain is new and doctors 'don't seem to 'hear me'. They just say it's likely related to my chronic G.I. problems. It's got me wondering about the cysts I read about in the other posts? Thanks for everyone sharing.

I went through POF when I was 15. I am now 24 and I still have symptoms. The main one that I had when I was younger were hot flashes, and lots of bleeding. Now that I am older I have lots of mucus in the vaginal area, digestive problems and LOTS of weight gain.
I had to go to a specialist in Seattle area to confirm my diagnosis when I was younger.