I am 18 years old and back in March of this year I went to the emergency room because I was vomitng constantly and had a pain in my right side. It turns out I had an ovarian cyst. The cyst was the size of an eggplant and surrounding my left ovary and also pushing into my right, hence the pain in my right side. I had the cyst along with my left ovary removed completely surgically. Everything was fine after I recovered except every month around two weeks before my cycle I experience a pain on my right side in the same place as before the surgery. It is not exactly a throbbing pain it just feels like some sort of tension and it doesn't last for more than a week. Once when my cycle was on I laughed and in that spot it felt as if something pulled which hurt. I am not sure if something is wrong with my right ovary and i am really scared about it because it is my last ovary.

Also a large portion of my abdomin is still slightly numb even more than 5 months after surgery is this normal???

yes dearie, the numbness seems pretty normal because I had a cyst removed in october this year and still feel numbness in my abdomen .I think it is part of the healing process. what worries me though is that i still have pains in my back which i had prior to the surgery but my doctor says all will go and i am hopeful and prayerful that I will feel most well soon.
hope this helps

IT IS SO GOOD TO HEAR THAT I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE EXPERIENCING THIS. I'M 35, AND I HAD A DERMOID CYST, AS WELL AS MY RIGHT OVARY REMOVED, NOV. 9, 2006. I STILL EXPERIENCE SLIGHT PAIN DURING THE TIME OF MY MENSTRAL CYCLE; :-( SIMILAR TO THE PAIN BEFORE MY SURGERY. I ALSO HAVE SLIGHT NUMBNESS IN MY LOWER ABDOMEN.

I'm 16. I had the same surgery, had a cyst on my right ovary and they had to remove it and do a total of 3 surgerys in 2 weeks because it kept coming back. After the surgery i have a weird numbness in my left upper thigh with burning, "needle pricks" or like bee sting sensations. I went to my doctor and he said that my nerve was most likely injured during surgery and that it would get better in 6months. I know it sucks %-) As for the pain.. they call it "phantom pain" i get the SAME thing. Its not WAY painful but it still hurts. I was also concerned and went to the er because it felt like i had tore something there.. but they said it was just the healing process. Things should get better and im praying for you. :]
Miranda.

I had a torteed cyst it was 18cm screwed round my ovary i had 2 get both removed, i'm only 38, i was told i would probanly have to have a hysteretomy but that did not happen but they have to wait 2 see what happens with my other ovary aparently it was fine a couple of weeks ago but my doctor told me what could be causing the pain and i'm a bit worried, a apparently i could have 2 have another operation , i have started 2 have pain in the side i have had the operation please help

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all recovering speedily. I too underwent larposcopic surgery to remove a hemorhidic cyst in my left side. It has been 3 weeks. The doctor told me I should take it easy on the physical activity for 6 weeks, but I couldn't help myself and I danced a little. After the dance I was breathing heavy, and I felt a little dizzy. The next couple days I have had a pain in my thigh, partially because of the muscles I think, but also now, the side where my one ovary remains feels a little uncomfortable.

You ladies think I should see the doctor? Could I have another cyst? Also, my fallopean tube was stitched in order to bring it closer to my uterus. Could I have undone my stitch?

Does anyone know how soon one can dance or engage in activity after surgery and has anyone else had to have their fallopean tube shortened?

Thank you for your help!

I'm 20 and I've had three surgeries on my left ovary because of twisted cysts. My last surgery was almost nine months ago; i had the entire ovary removed. I actually got on here because I've been really concerned because I've been experiencing extremely similar pains and I'm super confused because they're on the same side...where there is no ovary! im confused because ive had cysts ever since I was fourteen years old, and this is the SAME pain. I just don't understand how it is happening. To the person who said they were nervous about the numbness, I wouldn't worry about it. The left side of my abdomen is completely numb, even though it has been sooo long. The doctor said it's no big deal, but that I should get used to it cause it probably wont go away. it sucks, but at least you can know there's nothing dangerous about it. has anyone ever heard about anyone ever getting a cyst in the same area as before, even without an ovary there? i know it sounds completely absurd, but thats just how my body feels, and i can't deny it!!! ANY advice will help :-( all the docs do is give me pain medication and i dont want to turn into a junkie, i just want to get better!

i had a cysts remove from my left ovary a week a go and i am still feeling some numbness around the area where i got the stiches is this normal

Not sure if numbness is normal after abdominal surgery. I was concerned because I recently had a laparotomy with a left ovary removed and I experienced numbness in a large portion of my abdomen. The doctor said it was normal and it can take several months before some of the sensation returns. I told him I did not feel as much incision pain as I did with my previous c-sections and think this may have been due to the numbness. I had 3 previous c-sections and experienced more pain from the incision but never had any numbness.

I am 16. I have to get Surgery to get a cyst removed from my right ovary in 3 days. I am TERRIFIED of how bad the pain will be. from what I read on here it seems like there is more numbness then Pain. I was also told I will not be attending school for the rest of first term

I found this by googleing how bad the pain is after surgery.

I will be thinking about all you people. an numbness doesnt seem to bad in comparison to the pain I was expecting...damn TV shows has me terrified.

In 1988 I had my left ovary removed because of a cyst. Since then, I have extreme pain during my period where my left ovary should be. I also have pain when it is not my period. I've been to tons of doctors and had laproscopic surgery but nothing is found. Anyone out there experience this and what do you do?

I feel everyone's pain, Last Wednesday night I had a cyst the size of a large lemon removed from one of my fall opium tubes and was just released from the hospital on Saturday..since then I have been debating to go to the er due to extreme pain in my side and groin....it almost feels like something is just ripping me open inside with a sting and burning feeling as well...its driving me nuts and Motrin and Percocets are just not taking the pain away....I have staples across my bikini line and I know it takes time to heal...but this pain is something that I have never felt before....does anyone have any suggestions for me on the healing process....im tired of this pain...thanks for ur advise if given

Hey ladies

I had surgery to remove cysts off of both my ovaries just a week ago. I saw someone was wondering how bad the pain will be. After the surgery I felt pain instantly and I started shaking. They gave me medication right away. I was on a morphine drip for about two days. They gave me 2 mg every hour in the drip which caused me to throw up.

I was in the hospital for 4 days and I felt quite a bit of pain getting up and down and trying to move around. I am home now and I find I have pain like I pulled something on the right side of my stomach I can't even sitting on the toilet without feeling like screaming. I can walk around and everything without a problem. So I don't know. I am on morphine pills at home 5 mg every 4 hours. I find that they work but nothing will take away the pain completely. You're going to be very sore. My mother keeps telling me I can't expect to be back to normal right away.

I hope your surgery goes well. Oh and don't try to read the day of the surgery like after you have it. You will find you're waaaay too dizzy for that. :-)

Hope all goes well!

Hi everyone,

I had an exploratory laparotomy about two months ago to remove a dermoid cyst from my left ovary (which was about the size of a large grapefruit) and two smaller cysts on my right. Ouch!

To ease any fears, the numbness near the incision is absolutely normal, so don't worry about that. The surgeon has to cut through nerves, and it takes some time for these to fuse/grow back together. During that time, I'm told, the area will be numb. I know how frustrating and scary that can be... my incision was about 8" across, so I have a fairly large numb area on my lower abdomen. Not fun.

I am also experiencing the pain on my left side, where the larger cyst was, up to 1.5 weeks before my period. I've heard this is normal, but I'm still going to go in for a quick check-up. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Anyway, hopefully people will keep posting their experiences to this thread. Trust me... it really helps to have this information before and after this type of procedure, because it really helps to ease some fears. Our doctors do tell us what to expect, but first-hand info is really much more helpful... and it really makes things easier :-)

I had my left ovary removed three weeks ago via laparoscopy along with a large cyst which had twisted round the ovary and attached to the bowel. Three weeks on l am still very tired and have pain at the opposite side which is where the drain was in for two days. Now have bladder weakness, constant need to pass water and have been told l may have to live with this.
I was led to believe recovery from this type of surgery would be two weeks, my gp has advised me it is 4 to 6 weeks before l will get back to work.

Hope this helps anyone about to have the surgery.