I WENT IN FOR AN ULTRASOUND WHEN I WAS 13 WEEKS PREGNANT AND FOUND OUT THAT I HAD AN OVARIAN CYST ON MY RIGHT OVARY. AT 15 WEEKS I SAW A SPECIALIST WHO SAID THE CYST WAS APPROXIMATELY 20CM AND THAT IT NEEDED TO BE REMOVED, AND THAT THERE IS A CHANCE THAT I WOULD LOOSE MY OVARY. I WAS TOLD THAT THERE IS A LESS THAN ONE PERCENT CHANCE THAT I WOULD LOOSE MY BABY. I FIND OUT THIS WEEK WHEN I AM GOING TO HAVE THE SURGERY DONE. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN PREGNANT AND HAD THIS PROCEDURE DONE. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW IT WENT. I AM REALLY SCARED.

So I did not have this surgery. However I am 6 weeks pregnant and also found out yesterday I have an ovarian cyst. I was told it was nothing to worry about and that it will not affect my pregnancy. I have had two previous cysts, one ten years ago and one fifteen years ago. One went away on its own and I think one burst but both went away. I now have this one on the same ovary in which I ovulated to get pregnant. After reading your post, I am concerned that mine too will become a problem even though I was told it was ok and going to go away on its own. I am in mild pain but had both the external and internal ultrasounds yesterday in the ER. Please keep me updated on your situation and I wish you all the best.

I am 12 weeks and found out today that i have one that is 17cm. It grew from 16cm at my 8 week checkup. My Dr. said that the ultrasound people will look at it and decided what to do. She said that i will probably either have it removed or drained. She said that i will be put to sleep to have either procedure. She said that it will be painful. So now i am waiting until Friday to hear back from her. I am also freaking out about it. Let me know how it goes.

Well, I'm going to have the surgery done on Thursday. I'll be 17 weeks pregnant. My doctor says that he is going to put me to sleep and make an incision next to my belly button so he can stay as far away from my uterus as possible. He said that he would rather remove it than drain it. He said that when you get your cysts drained they always come back. So I will be getting it removed. There is a less than one percent chance of anything happening to the baby. And my doctor is going to try not to remove my right ovary. I'll keep you all informed on how the surgery went. Good luck to you also.

i just had a laparatomy to remove a grapefruit sized ovarian cyst removed, i also was 6 wks pregnant, they told me it wouldnt up the chance for a miscarraige, however 2 days after my surgery i miscarried. i'm so upset and confused. i hope everything goes okay for you, just be sure you make the right decision.

At my 12 week scan they found a cyst which was 13cm. After having an MRI scan and blood test, and another ultrasound scan they have decided to operate and remove it as it is now 15cm.
I am 18 weeks pregnant now. The safest time to operate is in the 2nd trimester. The chances of miscarridge are very low if operated on during the 2nd trimester.
I should be going in next week and i will update all after the operation.

I went and had my surgery done on Friday, Feb. 23. Everything went ok. They removed almost three liters from the cyst. I had my left ovary removed and my left tube. the incision was made from the bottom of my belly button down about two inches. I got ten staples which I get removed next week. But my doctor said if I still want to have a baby I can. My baby is doing good. I am now 19 weeks pregnant and found out that I was going to have a girl. ;-) I hope everything goes good for anyone else who has to have this surgery. I know that youre scared but if I made it through it than so will you. Good luck. I'll keep you updated on my little girl. I dont know what I'm naming her yet.

I'm sorry for the news you received i also had the same a 20 cm cyst on my right ovarie and had to have emergency treatment i did loose my ovarie and my right tube but the baby was fine i am now 8 months and everything is going perfect so try not to worry i know its hard but it'll be alright

Reading all of your blogs has me conserned. Two years ago I had my left ovary removed due to a 20cm cyst in my left ovary. My scar is minimal but the pain was excrusiating. It took me a good 8 weeks to recover and I have never had such pain. I was given two years to start and finish a family before I lost my other ovary. My husband and I sucessfully had a baby girl 16 months after my surgery. We are 22 weeks pregnant with our second baby and I am having the same type of pain I had when I discovered the first cyst. I have had ultra sounds and they say the baby is too big to see my ovary and they can not tell if there is anything there. My doctor tells me that the pain is from the baby kicking the scar tissue from the surgery but the pain is so bad and after hearing your stories its making me wonder. I know that once you have had a dermoid tumor or cyst if you will that you have very high chances of getting another one. Are these the types of cysts you all are having?

A dermoid cyst was found connected to my overy on my 12 week scan.

It was 15cm x 8cm. I had to have an MRI scan to check it was not connected to my uterus. It was not. They wanted to remove it and so when i was 19 weeks pregnant i went in and had the cyst removed and my left overy removed with it. My baby was fine and i recovered well very and quickly. A week later i went for my 20 week scan and all was well. I found out i was having a girl and all was healthy and normal.

I have a scar on my tummy which is quite big but it will faide (apparently).

My baby is due July 24th and i am pleased to be back on track and all is ok.

The risk of miscarrying due to an operation is very low. My cyst was checked for any cancerous cells, and luckily there was none. The Doctor said cysts on the overy can pop up for no reason and are not pregnancy related. It was lucky i feel pregnant to have then found this cyst and got it out before it caused me any harm or my baby girl.

At my 12 week scan a cyst was found connected to my overy, it was 15cm x 8cm.

Because of its sixe they wanted it to be removed. I had to have a MRI to check it was not connected to the uterus, which it wasn't. So when i was 19 weeks i went into hospital and had the operation. They removed the cyst and my left overy.

1 week later i had my 20 week scan and the baby was fine and healthy, i found it it was a girl and me and my husband were so happy and glad all was ok.

Having an operation whilst pregnant does carry some risk, but the risks are very low. It was a scary experience but all worth it now it is done.

The cyst was sent off and checked for cancer, which luckily there was no cancer.

I am now 23 weeks and back at work and back on track with my pregnany.

Although the operation was scary and the worry of losing my baby was always in my mind, it all went well and the doctors said it is common to have have cysts removed that large whilst pregant.

I'm not pregnant, but i have just been told that i have a large 10cm cyst on my left ovary, and a smaller cyst on my right. they have told me that they can't even see my ovaries at all, so they might have to remove both of them!

i already have a beautiful 10 month old baby girl, but the doctors have told me that i may not be able to have any more children. and i am reading up on this over the net, and i am thinking about having another baby, before they decide whether or not to remove both ovaries.

does anyone know the risks of this? is it not a good idea? all my doctor says is 'no that is not a good idea, you already have one child, be happy with her' but i am still very young and i dont want to completely burn all my bridges.

any advice?

hi i am also pregnant with a cyst on my right ovary. i was told not to worry and they will look at it again on my 20 week scan!!! i have had cysts removed in the past and have endrometrosist!!!! sorry cant spell. i am 11weeks pregnant and my cyst looked bigger than my baby although she didnt give me the measurments. keep us updated and i wish you all the best xx

hi all
i had cyst (which turned out to be just a dermoid) removed by laparotomy when i was 15w preg, after discovery of it at 12w ultrasound. i chose week 15 as it is safest time to have surgery while preg if you have a choice in the matter. i chose full laparotomy and removal of cyst rather than laparoscopy and drainage because of baby's safety. all went fine, cyst was removed, ovary was kept, albeit smaller now, baby was born perfect at 41w,and i had another baby 15m later with no problems. a followup ultrasound showed no new cyst had grown.
hope that helps
alanna

Hello - I, too, just got the results of my ultrasound and found out that I have a 10 cm cyst on my right ovary. I was left a little in the dark, with my dr saying that I should wait 4 weeks to have another ultrasound done to see if it has grown. Is this normal to just "wait". I do realize that I am in my first trimester and it is too soon to operate, so that is probably why they want me to wait a whole month. At this time when we are supposed to be elated about our first pregnancy, we are left with uncertainty on whether to operate, whether it will endager the pregnancy, and what can happen if it is left in and cause problems down the road. I don't understand how she didn't feel it during any internal exams. It is inspiring to hear the successful surgeries while pregnant, I just shudder to think of all that can happen.