I was bit on the hand last night by my neighbors 18 yr old cat, who was fretting about her master not being home. The puncture wounds are at on top of my hand by the thumb joint and over about 3 inches. I immediately scrubbed it out, used peroxide and antibiotic ointment. I woke at 330a with pain. Now at 5p,I have a 100 degree temp and it is red and swollen. I have aching all the way up my arm (which freaks me out as I had shoulder surgery on that side a little over a month ago), and feel ill. I just squeezed a whole bunch of reddish THICK pus out, soaked it again, medicated it again, and I am wondering if I should go see the urgent care doc. There is a hole where the pus came out and I forced a bunch of antibiotic cream down it. Thoughts anyone?? I really don't want to go to the doc if I don't have to.

I would go see a doctor, cats unlike dogs have harmful germs that come from their saliva...

True, I spent two days in hospital after a cat's bite. You better consult your case with a doc

Wow, why wouldn't you? I have had the swollen and painfull effects of a cat bite, but a temp and puss, pain is easy, signs like you are having may only come once.

I agree that cat bites can be exceedingly painful, and it is not something I am imagining! I was just bitten on the right wrist yesterday by a feral cat I tried to pick up.  There was a deep puncture wound that felt like it went down to the bone and I tried to wash out.  It began to get very painful and I could hardly move my hand and fingers.  A friend helped me get to the emergency room since my hand was so numb and painful I could not turn the ignition key in my car.  They took an x-ray, and gave me pain pills and antibiotics, ...and sent me home saying nothing much else they could do except to get an IV antibiotic.  The pain was so excruciating all night, the pain medication was not helping at all.  In the morning I went to my regular doctor.  He said the bite looked clean, and he prescribed rest, more pain medication and another oral antibiotic, and ice treatment.  He said if it wasn't better in a couple of days he would look into getting a cat-scan done of the wrist.  Also, my hand is swollen and my ankles also.  I'm a very active 72 year old male, and not given to complaining about injuries or pain. This afternoon the pain was intolerable, even after taking pain pills especially if I held my hand and arm higher than my heart, lying down.  When I sat up it felt better.   I have never experienced pain like this! Why are these bites so painful?  What causes this swelling and pain, especially when it does not appear infected?
Painfully concerned.